Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsGolf · 1 month ago

What's a Decent Golf Ball?

I'm trying to find an "OK" present for a brother In-Law.  Just something that doesn't embarrass me.  He's a golfer, and ***** has a sale on personalized golf balls.  They are all Titleist, which I know is a good company, but which Titleist should I buy and does it matter?

• Favorite Answer

Depends on how much you want to spend. The ProV1/ProV1X are normally around US$45-50 a dozen although TGW and Golf Galaxy have them for $40 right now, and are used by a majority of professionals on the PGA/LPGA/European/Champions Tours. The AVX is about the same but designed for a slower swing speed. The Tour Soft run around $35 per dozen. They don't have as much spin as the ProV1/ProV1X which comes into play on iron shots around the green along with pitch/chip/sand shots.

Personally I play the ProV1X but I used to play the Tour soft. I'm a single-digit handicapper and converted to the ProV1X after a ball fitting a couple years ago.

So if you don't mind spending $40 the ProV1/ProV1X or the AVX are a fantastic gift. For less, the Tour Soft is an outstanding ball as well.

Personally I'd do the ProV1. Not that much more, and I can assure you he'll love it.

Don't waste your time/money on the Trufeel, Velocity or TruSoft models.

The

It is useless to buy golf balls for gift since golfers usually lose their balls when playing golf.    

Buy something useful like golf training aids such as a putting mat with hole at the end or a golf net.   The recipient will use for years and it can improve their golf skills by practicing at home.