Why do people believe in religion?

I studied all the scriptures from the Quran to the Bible, and I don’t understand why people believe in it. Especially the concept of “Jesus died for our sins” or “Be like Mohammed” I just don’t understand how a modern human could follow that?? How can some people dedicate their entire lives literally worshipping something they haven’t even seen? Not trying to be judgemental, just genuinely curious. I can understand why a few people might believe in it, but it’s been a global thing for thousands of years. Most people believe in it without even studying it or reading the whole book. Opinions?

• TeeM

When God created man and woman, he instilled in them the 'need to worship'.

Just as a person must breath, drink, and eat to continue living.

Mankind must worship.

In place of true worship, people will worship anything close to their heart.

In place of true worship, people will 'create' something or someone to worship.

The whole obligation of man is to find to whom we must give the true worship to.

(Ecclesiastes 12:13) “13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man.”

(John 4:23, 24) “23 Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.””

.

• Michael

The Popular Worship of Faith - https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1959044?q=believe+in+religion&p=par

At Jw.org there are many answers to questions from the bible for free.

• misty

Its mostly due to indoctrination but fear and ignorance also play a part.

• Michael

No one "believes in" religion.  Our belief in God is what's called our religion.

"Why do people believe in religion?" Believe in religion? What do you mean? Most people worship something other than their religions.

"I studied all the scriptures from the Quran to the Bible, and I don’t understand why people believe in it." An appeal to personal incredulity is a logical fallacy, dear one. When will you atheists learn and apply logic?

"Especially the concept of “Jesus died for our sins” or “Be like Mohammed” I just don’t understand how a modern human could follow that??" Atheism is not more advanced than religion, pard, except for the religions and churches that teach us to remain in our sins.

Jesus died for our sins? Not really. He died so that he could resurrect himself -- and all of us -- into tangible, physical life, health and immortality.

What he did was to suffer an infinite punishment for sin. It had to be infinite or it couldn't have applied to everybody, everywhere. We can do things the easy way or the hard way. The easy way, we regret our sins, give them up, make what amends we can that won't cause further damage, and replace them with good works. Jesus' punishment is substituted for our own and justice is satisfied without us suffering. Pass Go, collect glory, go to Paradise.

Or if we murder, sin against the Holy Ghost, or die in our sins (repentance takes time, you see), we have chosen to do things the hard way and must suffer for our own sins until we are purified.

"How can some people dedicate their entire lives literally worshipping something they haven’t even seen?" For most people, it's tradition. But don't bother pretending that is always the reason. Every year millions experience God for themselves. You should, too. It's the logical thing to do. ("Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet have believed.") don't bother moving the goalposts. It's more evidence than you have to shore up your disbelief.

"Not trying to be judgemental, just genuinely curious. I can understand why a few people might believe in it, but it’s been a global thing for thousands of years. Most people believe in it without even studying it or reading the whole book. Opinions?" Again, tradition plays a big part in it, but it's never the entire answer.

• Michael

I don't believe in religion.I believe in Jesus Christ who started to make an end of religion.It is true I have never seen Jesus or know Him but I believe in my Saviour with all my heart.

• Juli

I agree.

Thankfully, many modern humans are now coming to their senses.

• Dr. D

People believe in religion because they want to believe. Other people do not believe in religion because they don't want to believe. Actually neither side really uses reason, logic, science  and philosophy to make their decision. They make their decision and then use reason, logic, science and philosophy to support their position. 

You can find very smart people on both sides as well. Respected scientists like James Tour and Francis Collins are Christians. Some people study the anthropic principle, near-death experiences, quantum physics, consciousness in single cell animals, or the Shroud of Turin, and say there must be a God. Others can look at the same things and only see a materialist answer. 

• Paul

I haven't ever "seen" patriotism. Does that mean I can't follow it? Obviously no-one has literally "seen" God, but given that millions of Christians are willing to die rather than deny Him, it should be obvious that He must have provided serious evidence of His existence.

I seriously doubt you "studied them"