Neighbor Torture?

I have very loud upstairs neighbors, I've been complaining to my HOA for nearly a year, many calls to security to get them to stop. They start at 5am, thump ALL DAY and don't stop till 2am!!! (I'm convinced they don't sleep or work) 

I've sent in recordings, and their landlord has even contacted them. Somehow they defuse the situation every single time with a simple "It's not us" and somehow this sends me back to square 1 every time. I need to get new recordings and get security to make special reports. This has happened at least 3 times now. 

I'm disabled and work from home, it's very difficult for me to walk or get around. So having this above me all the time (I get no break) I feel like I'm going crazy.

Before you say "you should just move" I own my condo, and have lived here for 2 years with no issues. They moved in earlier this year (February) and are renters. 

I attempted to contact them to resolve it peacefully, at first they seemed willing, but after the first text they replied with "It's not us" and never replied again.

Our condos are a mirror of each other, so it's them.

I'm about to have a very invasive surgery and I'm worried about recovering at home with them not allowing me to rest as I need to.

Since it's been going on for so long, is this considered torture? Is there anything I can do? 

Call the police for noise violations after 10 pm. During the day, not much you can do.

You kinda lost me at "I'm convinced that they don't sleep or work." Exaggerations like that are not going to help you convince people.

Have you tried contacting the owners of the unit, who are renting to these noisy folks.

• lInA2 months agoReport

Yes I have, he is aware of the current situation 

• Judith

Does your city have a noise ordinance?  You might be able to complain to the police.

If it were me, it would drive me crazy.  If they live there over a year I would seriously consider moving - although it might be hard finding someone to buy from you when they hear the noise.  And then be more careful where you decide to live.  I would never buy a home with neighbors above or below me unless the place was soundproofed because what is happening to you is always a possibility.

• lInA2 months agoReport

Sadly for my situation and condition, moving is not an option for me. I have called the police before, but they don't always go knock cause they expect us to call our buildings security. (which I do when I can) but sadly, we don't always have a guard on duty. 

I decided to stop being the victim - and it's a decision only you can make - and I retained legal counsel.  "It's not us" does not work when you are sued, when a claim is made against your homeowners insurance.

My attorney sent a LICENSED private investigator (which was expensive) to record the noise and speak to the other neighbors.

Their noisy habits ended rather quickly.  My attorney also notified the HOA that it "appeared" there was some discrimination if "it's not us" always worked.

I'm sure the neighbors spend a lot of time wishing I'd drop dead, but they do so quietly.

• lInA2 months agoReport

Not exactly the route I was hoping for. But if it worked that might be the most valid option for me. I don't care if they hate me, as long as its quiet. Thank you.

Buy some headphones,  listen to music as you sleep.  Maybe even buy some earplugs.  The more you complain the more they will be rude and walk louder.  You don't want to move. I understand that.  

• lInA2 months agoReport

I have very large noise cancelling headphones, and blasting music while wearing them doesn't cover their loud steps.