Jarvis asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

If a dog’s owner is someone you know and the dog displays a friendly temperament, do you still need to ask permission to pet the dog?

Service dogs are not related to the question 

Favorite Answer

Well it depends. Are you friends with this person, or do you JUST know each other? If you're friends, and you've known the dog for a while, it'd probably be fine to pet it. It all depends though on the owner's personality. When I had friends, I was fine with any of them just walking up and petting my dog without asking, but that's just me.

I would still ask regardless...I am constantly training my dogs out in public with or without friends. If they bumped into me and just randomly pet my dog I wouldn't freak out but I would tell them they should ask because that is disrupting the training...Basically regardless if you guys have been friends for months or years I'd still ask because even if the dog doesn't look like person is working with them they probably are. 

It depends on if the dog approaches you first

I wouldn't think so. Especially if the owner isn't trying to pull the dog away. I pet automatically. If a dog is out in the public without a muzzle, I just figure it is fine to pet. Part of socializing a dog.

Yes always ask permission .

The first time?   Yes.

Once you KNOW the owner is fine with you petting the dog, it would be a bit silly to ask every single time.

ETA:   Ha!  You are probably right.   Written consent form...the new and improved prophylactic. 

• Hündin

From all the thumbs down I sense that soon petting a dogs is going to be like having sex with a girlfriend. You will have to get explicit written consent every time you do it.

No, it's not necessary at all. 

• al

Yes, it would be in your best interest!

Yes you do need to ask permission to pet the dog. 

• David

Of course you do. A dog's temperament can change depending on the circumstance. It's always best to talk to the owner first.