Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Imagine if the general public were allowed to purchase  fully automatic submachine guns: For purposes of home defense, would most people be ?

Better off defending their home with an Uzi or Heckler & Koch MP-5, or would they be better off with a  12 gauge Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 riot gun with an 18 inch barrel and with 9 pellet Double Ought Buckshot?

12 gauge without a doubt.

• Robin

i go out and get a sten mk2

• Sammy

The general public was allowed to own fully automatic weapons from 1896 to 1934. Why were there no problems (except gangsters) then?

I shot competition full auto on a team, qualified on 9MM Uzi and .45 Thompson.

My take is just worthless unless you intend on combat with multiple foe.

Best home defense gun is one you know and good with, preferably same for other household members. The shotgun will do the job, so will a 9MM Glock if you can shoot it well. Even a .22 LR, pref to something that can shoot several rounds quickly if needed.

Trench guns just belong in the trench and for competitive, expensive as hell to shoot.

My 3 are .45 1911,,.38 Kurz,, and .22 WSM revolver, perfectly happy with any.

• Quinn

While I support the right to buy ANY kinds of firearm, for home defense the use of spray and pray is simply too dangerous in a rural confines where homes are made of plaster and thin materials that most cannot stop a round from punching through. And it will have to be spray and pray because most people do not have the kinds of money to afford the amount of ammo necessary to practice regularly in order to reach a level of proficiency that would give them the ability to use CONTROLLED full auto.

Furthermore, the law makes you responsible for every round you fire and if one of them hits an innocent bystander, then it is on you. If you live alone out in the country where your nearest neighbor is +200 yards away, well then you can turn your home into Swiss cheese if you want. But what do you do if you don't?

If I could own a select fire SMG, I would, but not for home defense. I don't make that kind of money to afford the SMG and the ammo I'll need to practice. But I can afford both a shotgun and lots of shells for both training for self-defense AND just plinkering.for fun. I also have access to a wide assortment of specialized shotgun ammo for home defense that would include those made specifically to prevent over penetration and low recoil.

Depends on your level of skill. I would opt for a MP 7.

I'd prefer a select fire kriss vector with 8.5in barrel suppressed. Quiet, accurate and easy to handle, which is important because when someone goes bump in the night they may not wait for you to get your ear and eye pro, and fire a few practice rounds before engaging. 

But at the moment I'm just going to stick with my sbs mossberg and bird shot with modified choke

I think a hot loaded 30-06 would do the trick better.

Imagine if there were no trolls on Y/A.  I'd rather have a 12 gauge shotgun.

• Alex

Consider frangible rounds. They'll sink into an opponent's flesh while disintegrating upon hitting walls...thus preventing blow-through and potentially harming people you don't want harmed.

As for shotgun, consider lighter shot loads and make sure you go for a pistol grip configuration for Close Quarters Battle (CQB)