Why should I have to wear a seatbelt if I don’t want to? It should be a choice?

This is Breakthrough's question

5 Answers

Relevance
  • rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

When you figure out how to support yourself when you are a helpless invalid, as a result of your injuries, THEN it might be OK to go unbuckled. Until then, me and my tax dollars will have to pay for your every breath, while you intimate a rutabaga in your hospital bed. It doesn't effect you, but it becomes MY responsibility. Wear the belt or stay home.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It always was a choice but back in the early 70's it became mandatory for the same reasons that child seats, helmets and no one is allowed to sit in the back of the truck anymore..... INSURANCE. Insurance companies want to keep some sort of control over how much, how often, how many payouts need be made and people get hurt less often and less fatally, on average, if they wear a seat belt. You might not have noticed but Insurance Companies how ENOURMOUS power in the political halls of this country. THEY are the reason insurance is mandatory and THEY are the reason you have to wear a seat belt, have certified child seats in a vehicle, wear helmets on a motorcycle and can't carry all the teen kids in the neighborhood in the back of your truck. INSURANCE companies carry a whole lot of political weight.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

To protect you whether you’re smart enough to protect yourself or not. 

Some people aren’t smart enough.

You don’t have to wear one, but you’ll get a ticket if you’re caught driving without one. And then your insurance rate will increase.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Seatbelts must be worn due to the law that made seatbelts mandatory due to the death rate among seatbelt users versus nonseatbeat wearers. It isn't a choice and so breakthrough or not, the law will most likely never change.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Same reason the plane won't take off until your seatbelt is fastened. Or some states you must wear a motorcycle helmet, Because some people are too stupid to protect themselves so it's up to the law to do it for these poor souls.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.