Boo asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Really worried about my dog he caught kennel cough as my mum put him in kennel for 1 day we saw a vet today who has given him Metacam 1.5mg?

she also said honey is good so I've been dipping hit treats in tiny bit of honey & with his dinner I use a herbal tea (None Caffeine) Ginger & Lemon as him gravy & mixed it all in, he's eating everything, running, playing like normal, just kinda sleepy & then has massive coughing fits which is so upsetting as I wanna help but can't, is there anything else I can do to help him I'm also going to put his bed cover in the dryer before he sleeps for a couple minutes so it's warm for him.

Is there anything else I can do or give him to make him feel better I'm calming him down & stroking him when he's having the coughing fit but it's horrible to watch as I wanna help him but can't

Most Kennel Cough is caused by a virus and you cannot cure a virus, only treat the symptoms.    Vets these days do give a course of antibiotics but that's to prevent it developing into pneumonia - and more often for a puppy or an old dog.

Try to keep him calm so he doesn't need to cough so much and you can use a child's dose of cough medicine - we used Benelyn.

Although I've not known this to be given, Metacam might be indicated - as an antiinflammatory (inflammed respiratory system?) but I'm afraid the virus just has to run it's course which it should, eventually.  

Please keep him quarantined and if you have to go to the vet again, keep him in the car rather than in the waiting area where he can infect all the other dogs in there!    A vaccinated animal will shake this off faster than a non-vaccinated one even if like our flu, it does mutate.

why would a vet give the dog metacam for kennel cough Since it s an anti inflammatory The dog needs anti biotics not an anti inflammatory

• patty

when I have boarded my dogs at the vet the vet asked if they have had kennel cough vaccinations. I said no so I had to get them vaccinated before they were allowed to be boarded.

STOP GIVING HIM HERBAL TEA.  Who suggested that?

You use ginger/lemon as "him gravy"?

If you don't trust the Vet, get a second opinion.

I have had a lot of dogs in my lifetime, many of them rescues, and I have always been told no honey, no tea.

I have no idea why the vet has given metacam either.   This is an anti-inflammatory and if any medicaiton is given it is usually antibiotics which won't cure the kennel cough as usually viral,  but will prevent secondary infections the worst of which is pneumonia.

Keep up with the honey and preferably Manuka honey. 

• Lorraine
      1 month agoReport

Forget the stupid TD's.... I have a silly 'fan base' who just TD because it's me.   Manuka honey is absolutely fine and VETS will agree to it also.  

STOP WITH THE TEA. A little bit of honey is okay AFTER a coughing fit. But not on everything. If you have a humidifier, use it in his room or where you keep his bed/crate. Use a harness to walk, not a collar.

I have no idea why a vet would prescribe Metacam(Meloxicam). That is used to treat arthritis. You need antibiotics to kill the Infectious tracheobronchitis caused by Bordetella bronchiseptica. Your dog should be on Baytril, Doxycycline, or Clavamox. With the proper antibiotics the cough will clear up within three weeks or so.

• Boo1 month agoReport

Ok I will! I don't but I'm going to try & get one tomorrow! Ahhhh ok now I'm worried he should be on something else

• *****

A humidifier can help as well. Do contact the vet if he worsens, but he should be just fine.  It needs to run its course, just like if you had a cold. 

• *****
      1 month agoReport

It's increasingly common lately for a mild antiinflammatory like metacam to be prescribed during treatment for just about any illness for pain management. For respiratory illnesses it can also reduce airway inflammation and reduce fever. It's affordable and normally quite safe for short term use.