Why take medication if it destroys your body?

I've just been told I need to start taking medication to see if it will help a type of health condition. I've been told what could happen, side effects and that the drugs may not 100% work, that they will help a little. The choice is mine if I want to go through with it but I just want to know what is the point? I take the pill to try and fix 1 problem only for it to cause another problem. I don't even get a guarantee that the pill will fix the first problem so I may end up with 2 or 3 problems. Over the counter medicine is the same, the warning is they can cause stomach bleeding and kidney problems. Is it better to just live the best you can with your condition and hope your body will sort itself out or is medicine worth taking? 

A conscientious doctor can help you see that all drugs are potentially harmful and that there are few drugs used today that have no side effects. Just read the warnings of possible side effects on the label of the next prescription drug you buy! If your symptoms are very uncomfortable, these medicines can give relief, and you have the assurance that the risks are minimized if you have a regular medical checkup and carefully follow your doctor’s instructions while taking them.

I love the people on here who think drinking a smoothie will cure an auto-immune disease like MS or rheumatoid arthritis....

Look, every drug even as aspirin can cause side effects--you have to decide sometimes what is the greater risk and what you can deal with--a few possible (not guaranteed) side effects or the inconvenience/pain/morbidity of your illness.

I have a stomach problem. No reason for it, came out of the blue with lots of auto-immune symptoms. I was slim, non smoking, no drugs, very light social drinker. If I didn't take the meds, I would have heart-attack type chest pains, nausea, bloating, and  esophagitis that can lead to cancer. The trade off is the meds I take might cause brittle bones. I can't live or work with the list of symptoms I have so that is a risk I'm willing to take.

The body was designed to take care of itself. All you need to do is make sure you give it what it needs. Unfortunately, most people live a crappy lifestyle and it deprives them of the nutrients they need for their bodies to function properly - resulting in health problems.

Based on the laws of physics, if you eliminate the cause of a problem then there is no longer a reason for the problem to exist and the body will correct itself.

Medications inhibit the body's ability to take care of itself. They only manage the problems but do nothing to correct them. And until you correct the cause, the problems will never go away (some will develop complications and cause worse problems that correcting the original cause will no longer fix. More aggressive treatment is then needed to fix things at this point - if it isn't too late).

Medications can be used in the short term as an immediate intervention (to manage the problem) but steps should be taken at the same time to correct the problem with better nutrition and a better lifestyle. If you give the body what it needs you can usually come off of the medications once the problem is gone.

The answer is to become your own doctor, and do your own research into things you can do to change your health for the better.  Many internet ebook sales claim that is what they did, and it took years.  But buying their ebooks can gain you an education in how to change your diet, what nutrition supplements to take, what to take out of your diet and lifestyle.  It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started hearing that diabetes is reversible. It's not an incurable disease that you just keep taking increasingly higher amounts of medication for until you die of some side effect.  I recommend you go to youtube and search for things like DR BERG DIABETES (or whatever your health problem is) and watch his short, informative videos.  There are other physicians who have researched nutrition and tested ideas on their patients, and found it worked.  My favorite is still DR JASON FUNG on diabetes and intermittent fasting, and on the keto diet, which has proven very useful in reversing diabetes.  

In the end, you have to decide for yourself what you are going to do to improve your health.  But you know already that just taking the pharmaceuticals that traditional physicians prescribe will not cure your disease.  It will only treat the symptoms.  It's like moping up the water from an overflowing sink, but never turning off the faucet.  You gotta fix the cause of the symptoms, not just take pills to mask the symptoms.  

I've always asked this question too. But it hugely depends on the person. I'm not sure what your health condition is but exercise always seems the be the best form of medication. It's natural and has huge benefits on the body and brain. But a friend of mine had to take medication because of his issues, and with combining that and exercise he was able to eventually get off of the medication. It was like a kick starter. To answer your end question, I think it depends on what your condition is and if you can live each day without taking medication. Hope you keep strong with whatever it is you are going through

• Mark

Sometimes it's a choice of certain death vs the POSSIBILITY a medicine might do this.  A good example is "Predisone", a metabolic (tears the body down) steroid often used for COPD.  It's a choice of drowning in your own lung fluids or PERHAPS developing a wound that won't heal.