Anonymous

How long before starting a new job should I find out more information?

I was offered a co-op position with a company starting January 13th. I interviewed September 15th and was verbally offered the position on the 16th. HR sent over the letter on the 18th, which I then signed and proceeded with the background check. The only communication I have received since then is the online portal "welcoming me to the team. " Is there a time when I should expect to hear more information from them/ confirming everything is all set or should I be concerned that I haven't heard from them in a while Also how should I phrase an email to them asking this information?

If you accepted the position in September and have not heard anything, I think it is time that you follow up with them.

A simple, friendly email would be a good place to start.

Hi <Contact person>

I'm very excited to be starting the co-op position in January.  With the semester ending and being away for the break, I wanted to reach out to before the end of the year crunch gets too hectic. 

Is there anything that I need to do to complete the on-boarding process or prepare for my start date on January 13th?  If so, please let me know what you need.

Otherwise, have a wonderful holiday and I look forwarding to hearing from you in January!

Thank you,

Anonymous