Black asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Shaving against the grain?

Years ago, I had heard from somewhere, I don't remember who or where, that it was a bad idea to shave against the grain of your beard. I find that shaving against the grain gives you the closest smoothest shave, you don't get a 5-o'clock shadow for at least 2 days. So what was the reason for the warning against doing this?

Favorite Answer

Ingrown hairs and razor burn and skin bumps. Some people are more prone to them than others though. Like me unfortunately. It also depends if your hair all grows evenly in the same direction, which mine doesn't.

• Foofa

You're supposed to shave against the grain, it doesn't work otherwise.

The warning against this from what I have learned and experienced seems to be that people don't like the discomfort of getting razor burn (razor bump, face on fire feeling, irritation).

But if you have sharp razor to shave with I don't think it matters a whole lot. That and it all depends on what bothers you. If you can shave against the grain and it doesn't irritate your face then more power to you.

It can cause skin irritation for many (me included).