What are good vacation spots for the summer where there is a decent sized city and I can drive a short distance and spend time at the beach?

In the United States. Preferably 3 hours or less in between destinations.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

What is your standard of a "decent-sized" city?  If it's in the 15,000 range, I'll recommend Traverse City, Michigan.  The beach is right in town, and there are no sharks or jellyfish to worry about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Chicago, wonderful beaches in the summer! You didn't mention fresh or salt water.

• 1 month ago

Boston offers culture, history, and more, and is fairly close to beaches.  Cape Cod is more known, but south of town, you'll also find some beautiful beaches like Horseneck.

• 1 month ago

San Diego or Los Angeles are both good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All of southern California. And north of that but I assume you mean palm trees and vollyball. The gulf is nice but it's somewhat brown......

• MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Jersey Shore is within an hour's drive from New York City and Philadelphia.

The beaches in FL are within an hour or two of just about any city there, and many of the major cities are on the coast. 

New Orleans is not far from the Gulf Coast.  Houston is not far from the Gulf. 

Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC are both coastal towns with plenty to see and do.  

Richmond, VA is not far from Virginia Beach and nearby areas.  

Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD are also easily within 3 hours of a number of beaches along the Maryland, Delaware, and Jersey coastline.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

NYC and the Jersey shore.

Tampa and the Gulf coast.

• 1 month ago

Miami, St Petersburg and Jacksonville, Florida. Mobile, Alabama. New Orleans, Louisiana. Several spots up the east coast. Sand Diego and LA in California. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.