Is my landlord allowed to charge me for removing bloodstained bedding that isn't mine?

Hi guys,

I recently moved into a shared accommodation, and I asked the staff showing me around if they could remove the bed as I would rather bring my own. She said no, as that would mean the room would be left 'part furnished' instead of fully furnished. After moving in, I noticed the bedbase (not mattress) is covered in urine and bloodstains. I contacted the lettings to ask if they would at least let me swap the bed for another unoccupied room within the household. The landlord agreed under the condition that I dismantle and reassemble both beds. I agreed. 

I swapped, but I was unable to fully dismantle the bloodstained bedbase, and another tenant also offered his help, it turns out we need specific screws to remove the wheels which was the part causing problems moving the bed, there wasn't enough space to work with. I also found a syringe within the base as it's torn. Point being, without being able to dismantle this very old fashioned and wrecked bedbase, I could only push it into the opposite and closest unoccupied room (but not the room I swapped the bed with).

Fast forward, the landlord is now sending contractors out to put this biohazardous bed into the room it now belongs in the floor below. But he is charging me to move the bed to the floor below. Is he allowed to charge me for this? I asked them to remove the bed before I moved in. I did not cause the stains. The bedbase could put me at risk, and future tenants. Can I get some advice please. (UK tenant).

"The landlord agreed under the condition that I dismantle and reassemble both beds. I agreed. "

BUT you did not fullfil your part of the agreement so they now have to fix the problem YOU created. So now you pay.

I'd be leaving such filth if it were me. That is the problem with furnished, you take what you are given and need to look at everything. As a LL myself things like this make me sick.

Report it to the local health department.

Why the H*ll didn't you report the REASON you did not want to sleep on that bed, instead of just asking if you could bring in your own bed? Now, you are getting what you asked for, and he has every right to charge you for moving it, and for storing it. If you handled this properly, he might have decided to not charge you. It's too late now.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Alice2 months agoReport

A report was already submitted prior to moving in and after, that's how this process began and led to the landlord wanting to pocket some money. But...ok boomer.

find another apartment and move there or sue the landlord or talk to the police about it

• NONAME

contact the local news

No, he cannot charge you for that.

Yes, because you didn't fulfill your part of the deal now the landlord has to pay someone to dismantle and remove the boxspring and haul it away.

• k w

what does the contract say ?

I think you are going to have to pay this one. You agreed to move the bed to another room. You couldn't so now he is having to pay someone to do it. You didn't fulfill your part of the agreement so you have to pay the cost he incurs to do it.

Unless you did a walk-through before you moved in and pointed that out, you're stuck with it.