Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Why did people dress so much nicer in the 1940s and 1950s?

Favorite Answer

"American pride" - a concept that was abandoned long ago in favor of the immoral social standards of today that are being promoted as "normal".

• ◄♦►
      1 month agoReport

John - ...While fashion and accessories are geared more to the Alt-left. You've made your point, Mary-belle.

Lesser population then which meant less poor, mentally ill people. Also there was censorship - people were expected to act and appear a certain way otherwise the religious authoritative figures would deal with them. This was reflected in movies of the times.

• John

Speak for yourself........ One part of an answer is that hats were in fashion. And tennis shoes either weren't invented or at least weren't widespread,

• Marli

Textiles were rationed during much of the 1940s because of World War II.  If you could obtain dress material or could buy a dress or suit, it would have few, if any, frills.  That made the fashions look "smart" IMO. They became part of what is still called a "classic" wardrobe, because their simple straight lines are still pleasing and in style.

The fuller fabric fashions of the late 1940s and 1950s were a reaction to wartime fashions. For women, they looked more "girly" and less "military". All that "swish" in the skirt felt lovely, especially to a little girl like me.  But my brothers, friends and I wore jeans and t-shirts everyday.  Our parents wore work clothes. Otherwise we wore clothes appropriate to the venue and occassion.  "Going out" was a treat, so we wore out best or second-best clothes. Going to church or visiting on Sunday required our best clothes, either in respect to God and relatives and friends or so we looked like a middle-class family to "outsiders".  That was "the way things are done." as our mothers said.

The later 60s was the start of hippie fashion, when suits and dresses were "establishment" and so oppressive to us Boomer youth.  Still, we wore more suits and dresses than today's youth do. Ours were more casual and faddish in style.  More love-beads, bold colours and turtlenecks instead of ties.  Cut-off legs on  jeans and sleeves on T's, but hardly any grunge styles. I still miss my bell-bottoms and maxi-skirt.  Dressing was fun, and most of us made sure we did not look as if we had slept in our clothes in a garbage can.

My guess is more self respect for themselves and where they are.

• glcang

This is an interesting question and it has to do , I think with attitudes that became popular in the sixties. The hippy movement and the disillusionment with the status quo pushed young people to question the values of the older generation. This relaxed a lot of the conformity that was underlying much of the behavior  of people and gave them more freedom to dress and act in 

ways they felt were more personal.

• ◄♦►
      1 month agoReport

Gee...I have to actually agree with you on this point. It's too bad, however, that you prefer to exploit acceptable facts to hide your real support of today's cultural nightmare. Your intelligence-challenged comment on my answer indicates there's more to your answer than what's written here.