Anonymous

Should I tell the university that I have mild dyslexia, along with a testing center (not in relation to the university)?

At times, I tend to switch letters and words, not always catching the errors, no matter how much I re-read to edit. 

Such as: how and who; tried and tired; you're and your; passed and past; whine and wine--you get the picture. I'll even switch the order of words by mistake.I didn't realize it in high school that that was the problem, causing the teacher confusion at times, marking it as wrong.  

I'm not saying it's mad-frequent. 

It just happens sometimes.

The Taxpayer,

I really am just curious. 

I know that it's bumped my score down a couple points many times, sometimes costing me a perfect score. 

So, just curious based on worries, is all. 

Expressing my worries to the category that can probably help.

*So, just curious based on worries is all. 

• MS

Yes, if you've been diagnosed with a learning disability then you should notify the Disability Services Office (or its equivalent at your school).  They can help you receive appropriate accommodations that will allow you to be more successful.  This can include tutoring, note taking help, extended time for assignments and exams, having someone read exams to you, etc. 

If you have a medical diagnosis of a learning disability, you should inform your university's Student Disabilities Office and discuss "reasonable accommodations" for your condition. 

Accommodations for dyslexia could include such things as:

Someone to read assignments and exams aloud to you

Audible textbook

Taking exams orally or on tape

Extra time for homework and exams

Consideration for poor spelling in timed exams

You would work out the accommodations with the university first, then they would inform the testing center of your needs (in an ideal world. In the world as it is, you'll probably have to organize most of this yourself). 

Yes. I also have dyslexia and when I was in school I was too ashamed to tell others. I wish I would have spoken up.

What do you hope is the outcome of this notification?

Yes definitely let them know, they might even be able to put supports in for you

• y

Sure, why not, can't hurt. Used to be tough, deal with it, it's your issue. Now, some universities, just like public school, will bend over backwards helping those with some sort of ABC issue.