Why do people say "fine, then I'll stop shopping here," like it's a valid threat?

Do they really think they spend so much money at that store that they're the only reason they're still in business?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Left over from a different life where the smaller shops valued each and everyone of their customers, where shops competed to keep their own. Where the loss of even one hurt not only at the economic level, but the personal level. That has all been replaced by limiting options due to the massive store like Walmart and such. Combined with the increase in population which means, there is always another in line to replace you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Marduk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've seen many many stores decline and piss off more than ME. They are all out of business. If you lose ONE customer, something needs to be looked into as the problem may be endemic.

• Notatroll1 month agoReport

Yes, it's always Wal-mart's fault, lol Have you seen their customers? Soo-wee!

• Stan
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Because logic compells them to assume that the business wants their patronage and by stating that you will no longer patonize their business the consumer is taking action in the most basic way possible.

Although there js little significance to the business owner if the patron in question does not represemt a sizable consumption of the business's product or service.

Despite that, the patron has little recourse except to state that the business will be losing a potential sale and potential future sales.

The business owner can respond how they choose.

• I never went to the apple bees in our city ever again after their bad service and food 

do you think they are doing well? no, even though they are still here

sad how good restaurants go under but bad ones in chains stay around 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

your question assumes that all businesses are owned and operated by large corporations...

funny how many who like to cry about mega-corporations are also the same ones who promote the over-regulation and bureaucratic bloat in government that renders quality local and regional smaller businesses unsustainable...

• 1 month ago

Most customers will not verbally submit a complaint like that, but will just quietly remember the bad service and will never come there again. A customer that issues a verbal complaint does the business a service by making them aware of the problem. They can't fix it if they don't know it is broken.

• Congratulations, you've figured out that some people have an inflated sense of ego and self-worth.

They say that in an attempt to get an apology (and maybe a discount or some free stuff) from the store.

• 1 month ago

A satisfied customer will tell one or two people. A dissatisfied customer will tell nine to eleven people. 

• 1 month ago

People who say that kind of thing are usually poor and dumb so they make no difference to the business.

But I spent $30 last week, without that you'll have to fire half your staff, lol

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They think they are a special customer.

The most special customer and the only one in that category. Yeah, because the shampoo and Dirk Bentley CD you bought last month is all the profit they made, lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.