my old computer is bad i bought a new one what happens to all my information?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You could either save the information on the drive or destroy it so someone can't use it!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

What do you consider to be "bad"?

When someone considers a PC to be "bad" they obviously don't have a clue either way!

Unless your CPU, memory, embedded GPU dies there is no reason to replace your PC unless

1) it was real cheap junk that throws constant errors

2) more than 10 years old

It is a lot cheaper to replace a hard drive than an entire computer.

If you had even a single clue, you would know this!

• 1 month ago

If it still works you can use migration assistance to transfer old files from old computer to new one. If your computer is totally dead then rip the hard disk drive out of it and get a sata to usb case for it and then usb it to your new computer and get all the information off of it to the new ones.

If you decide to throw it in the trash, I would advise you rip the hard disk drive out of the none working computer and drive a steak through the upper middle part of it. Don't ever throw away a computer without driving a steak through the hard disk drive. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Unless you stored it in a cloud or on some portable media, it most likely remains on your old computer.  There are several ways to transfer data to a new computer.  Invest in one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Store it in files.

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It is on the hard drive of the old computer until/unless you remove it snowflake.

Did you think the information was going to automatically transfer to the new computer as if by magic?

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, nothing happens by magic, you have to transfer all of your old data to the new computer. Without knowing what your old computer was, and what your new computer is, we can't tell you how to do that. Update the question and tell us what operating system your old computer used (Windows 7, 8, XP, or whatever), and what OS your new one uses (likely Windows 10, unless you got a Macintosh, then it's OSX).

• 1 month ago

Not enough information to even hazard a guess

• 1 month ago

Nothing unless you do something with it.

• Wilson
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Why was your computer bad? 

Did it sneak out Saturday night and get involved with the wrong crowd?

Did you get a call from your computer early Sunday morning from the local jail?

It's your responsibility to transfer the info from your old computer to the new computer. 

If you don't know how to do that, then take them both to Geek Squad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.