What do you think about furniture from IKEA? How quality of it?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

It's not high quality, obviously, but I have pieces in my home office that have lasted many years. I have one Ikea side table that I bought in 1989,  a couple of others that are at least 20 years old, and 5 Ikea bookcases that are close to that age. 

It's good for things like offices and children's rooms.

• F

It's a bit variable. Some (solid wood) is good, other stuff chipboard, not so great, but generally as good if not better than competitors at the same price point. Beware beds are a weird size and only Ikea make the mattresses to fit, so you have to go back if you want a new one, and they are not the cheapest.

It stinks. Any other questions?

They offer some solid wood furniture, but it's mostly made with particle board.

It's not uniformly good, but most of it is. You still have to do due diligence and do your own vetting.

I have a family-room set of IKEA furniture that has lasted over twenty years for example. And they continue to support that model as I just ordered and received replacement slip-covers for the entire set.

I also have an IKEA wardrobe, that has lasted about 15 years and is still going strong. Assembly was easy too.

And you can't beat the Swedish meatballs sold in their cafeteria.

It is easy to be snobby about Ikea stuff but it is generally cheap and can be fine if you are a bit selective. Never going to be heirlooms, that's for sure. Some ranges like the Billy bookcases and Kallax cube thingies and the little metal filing cabinets have spawned loads of 'hacks' - look for them on Youtube - and are really versatile.  I recycle furniture, and most people seem to discard Ikea pieces long before they fall apart, I guess they just get bored with them or want a more traditional style.

lol I guess I am the only one that loves ikea. Their couches and chairs are great. I got the ektop love seat and the tullsta chairs and they are comfy and are still in great shape after 5 years. They have washable covers too which is a huge deal for me. 

I also have a dresser from there. It was cheap, made with real wood and its been holding up great. Better than the more expensive dresser I got from slumberland. 

I do avoid particle board furniture. It doesn't look as nice or last as long. 

• Mark

The cheap stuff is just that:  cheap.  (Maybe suitable for a dorm room or someone "just starting out").  But they also make some good, more expensive things that AREN'T made of pressboard with a formica veneer over it.

Junk............

It's garbage chunks of wood and loose screws. You have to build it yourself so how quality are you at building?

• Lili
      1 month agoReport

It's easy to put Ikea stuff together.  A child can do it. It doesn't require any "building" skills.