I want to take a hard drive out of laptop that has a non-working display monitor on it. Is this possible?

I want to place this hard drive in another laptop that has a hard drive in it, but because of the form factor on the working display laptop, it may not fit. Is there a device of some kind to transfer data from one hard drive to another one? I need all my data (music files, word docs, etc) off the old hard drive to somehow go on the hard drive for the new laptop

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes it is, however, you would need ton reinstall the OS, onto the internal HD.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

you can put the old HD into an enclosure that connects via USB. some fiddling with disk manager or boot manager software may be required.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Look for a Hard Disk Enclosure. It's basically a box with a SATA to USB connector. Get the 2.5" size for your laptop's hard disk.

• 2 months ago

Buy a cheap $10 enclosure from Amazon. Install the hard drive in it and then you can plug it in via USB to an computer and it will show up as removable storage dvice. You can than copy all your files from it, and/or use it for a backup device.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Enclosures-Computer-A...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You need a USB drive casing - just put the old drive in it, connect to another computer and you should be able to copy everything from it.

Just make sure the casing you get is the appropriate type for the drive, eg. SATA or IDE.

• WayneH
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Purchase an external hard drive enclosure with USB.  Place the old HD in the enclosure and plug it into the laptop.  It will show up as a new drive, probably D or E.  Drag and drop your "stuff" onto the laptop drive.  Hopefully you have enough space on the laptop drive.  If not, just keep the old drive plugged into the laptop.  You can access the files whenever you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.