JJ
Lv 5
JJ asked in Society & CultureRoyalty ยท 1 month ago

Why are many royals given multiple names?

Example: Prince William, duke of Cambridge's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It is just a tradition. Harry and Meghan only chose two names for their first born, and William's children bear three names.

Choosing multiple names is a handy way of honoring relatives and ancestors. For example, Princess Charlotte's names are Charlotte Elizabeth Diana: Charlotte is the feminine for Charles--her grandfather, as well as a name used by other royals of the past; Elizabeth honors the Queen, while Diana is for her late grandmother, Diana Spencer, who was Princess of Wales, Charles' first wife.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They many, many illustrious ancestors to honor.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

To use as many names as possible to honour ancestors, as well as to honour celebrities of the day. For example, in the 1980โ€™s, Sheena was popular as one name for girls, to honour a huge pop music starlet of that time period.ย 

• Royals are given multiple names partly as a way of honouring family members (but only ever on the royal side, you will notice) and partly because multiple names were (are?) indicative of high status. Most people have only two forenames - occasionally three. So Three, four or more names is making a bold statement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's tradition and an acknowledgement of a previous important relative.ย ย  I have two Christian names - my sister, for some reason, had three, the third being the maiden surname of my father's mother.ย  I'll now never know why that happened!!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Often it is to commemorate other members of the family.ย  All Queen Victoria's sons names included Albert after their father. Edward VIII was something of a record holder being: Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David, to include the patron saints of the constituent parts of the United Kingdom. In the case of Edward VII and George VI, they used one of their alternative names as king, despite both being known as Bertie when they were princes.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's just tradition.ย  Many ordinary families also give their children multiple first names.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.