Why do you use a combination of whole eggs and egg yolks in creme caramel/flan?

Nearly every recipe that I have seen for it calls for a combination of eggs and then just egg yolks? What would happen if you went one extreme or the other - ie, how would it turn out if you put all whole eggs or all just egg yolks?

Favorite Answer

This has to do with textures and flavor. If you use all whole eggs the texture will be too rubbery and the taste to eggy. If you use all just yolks it won’t bind up right.

Baking, custards, puddings, etc, are part cooking and part chemical reactions. It is a much more scientific form of cooking than say...sautéing as you are seeking the correct balance of ingredients to create the taste/texture that you want when you apply heat to the ingredients.

Most baking etc recipes have been tested and tweaked over and over. Any sort of major change to them will have very different results. Depending on cooking skill level, just following a recipe exactly doesn’t always guarantee results, especially if you don’t understand the basics of ratios of moisture, leavening, etc.

For any sort of recipe that is relying on chemical reactions for it’s result, leavening, thickening, etc, I will typically follow the recipe exactly the first time I make it so I understand how it works and how the finished result turns out. If I want to modify the recipe I will make small changes to gauge results before I push it with further changes.

Even following a recipe exactly won’t necessarily give you the same product that the recipe writer made, there are factors relating to cooking experience and basic understanding of the science of cookery, quality and age of ingredients, quality of cookware, quality and cleanliness of the oven, grill, stove, whatever is applying the heat, temperature of the room (and the ingredients) and humidity of the room (yes, really, especially in baking).

On the other hand, if you want to mess with a recipe without understanding it or trying it first, go for it. Hopefully you have a large dog or a pig on hand to gobble up anything that you’d rather not serve to friends.

Egg whites are mostly water and you want to eliminate water. It would be okay with all yolks but rubbery with all whole eggs.

It is the old French recipe