Which word is correct?

The captain got on his spaceship, hoping that they would find a decent planet next time, (and / then) had a quarrel with the pilot and got off.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

"Got on" and "got off" sounds like he was hopping "on" a motorcycle. "Onboard", "entered", or "boarded" would be more accurate choices.  I don't think either "and" or "then" are necessary at all. If the captain left the ship because he was angry, you could emphasize that.

"The captain entered his spaceship hoping they would find a decent planet next time, quarreled with the pilot, and stormed out of the ship."

It also might be better to break this up into two separate sentences.

"The captain boarded the spaceship hoping the next planet would be more promising. After a quarrel with the pilot, the angered captain disembarked."------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOTE:If you're simply relating the events, the above sentences are fine.  However, if you're telling a story, you could flesh it out a little.  Why did the captain and the pilot quarrel? Why did the captain leave the ship?"Optimistic that the next planet would show more promise, the captain returned to the ship. Upon arriving at the bridge, he and the pilot engaged in an argument over which course to plot.  Angered at the pilot's disrespect for his authority, the captain stormed off the bridge and out of the ship."

• San1 month agoReport

Thanks!

The whole sentence is poor ... but do not use either choice.

• RP

Then seems best because "and" would result in an excess of that word. Actually, if neither and or then were included, the sentence would also be fine.

if I had to choose between those two only (and I would prefer to use "but" or "but then" if given my choice), then I would use "then" rather than "and". 

I would call your sentence a run-on sentence anyway, though.

• martin

"then" sounds better than "and"

I think a more logical conjunction would be but.

The captain got on to his spaceship, hoping that they would find a decent planet next time, but after quarreling with the pilot got off again.

• Laurie

I would use neither, but I would punctuate more clearly, and would use both parallel structure and more effective vocabulary:

“The captain boarded his spaceship (hoping they would find a decent planet next time), quarreled with the pilot, and then disembarked.”

Id say "then" but continue please, was it the pilot who got off?