Emma asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

What's the difference between "she didn't want to speak to me" and "she didn't want to be speaking to me"? ?

I don't get it. Thanks in advance. 

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

I don't know about the USA, but in the UK, "She didn't want to speak to me," means that she was not happy to carry on a conversation with me.  She may have actually spoken to me  or she may not.  That's not specified.

However, "She didn't want to be speaking to me," means that she was, in fact, speaking to you but was unhappy about doing so.

• Pontus

true of the USA as well.

What Cogito says is right of course, but I'll just add that 'She didn't want to be speaking to me' may also mean 'She didn't want to be IN THE HABIT of speaking with me'.

The first is that she definitely did not speak. The second could be taking as she is reluctantly "speaking", but doesn't want to be speaking.

Is this for English class? or just a question?

It means the same thing. "She doesn't want to talk to you" The sentence with "be" is improper/slang/ghetto

The second is more emotional

• Chiaro

The second one could be that she was just busy or not up to it at the moment. The first one sounds like she had already decided that whatever the circumstance, she does not want to speak to you.

They are slightly different tenses. The first is a past event, the second suggests she may go on not wanting to speak.

There's no difference. These mean the same thing.