Do I have grounds to sue for medical negligence?

I live in Pennsylvania (in case state laws are involved). My mother (40yrs) had a heart attack today. She displayed all obvious signs of a heart attack (extreme chest pain, tightening in chest, pain in arms, armpits, jaw, hands, etc.) and was in EXTREME pain. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance and was distributed a very low dose of nitro multiple (5 or 6 times). the whole stay she sobbed and clutched her chest, when asked to describe her pain on a scale of 1-10 she always said 10 and it was very clear she was in extreme pain. We waited there for 3 hours without even seeing a doctor. while she was having a heart attack the whole time (as confirmed by the hospital she was life-flighted to). When a doctor finally did come in, it was to discharge her and to diagnose it as built up gas. When we were ready to leave, her in disbelief that it could be gas doing that, they called an alert over the intercom for our room. apparently when the nurse had run an EKG it had just taken them a very long time (it was clear she was low priority to them and that they did not believe her, so why would they rush for it?), and the test came back with Very Bad results. Turns out she has an 80% blockage in her major artery. The cardiologist at hospital #1 claimed it could probably be helped with simply blood thinners (an absurd idea). Hospital #2 said that was the most ridiculous thing hey have ever heard, that she needs to have bypass surgery or she will die. Do I have a negligence case here?

Favorite Answer

Did your mom take the blood thinners?

If she took the blood thinner and died, you might have a case. But you can't sue a hospital just because you don't like their option for treatment.

To sue someone you have to be able to show damages and/or how their actions affected you adversely.

• Sebastian1 month agoReport

okay i looked it up it seems you are right there has to be damages caused by what they did, however pain does qualify in the state of pennsylvania. so im going to try and at the very least have this doctors medical license taken

• Tavy

No, as she did not die but had treatment.

No, because I do not believe your story.

• Sebastian1 month agoReport

im going to take that as a yes actually because considering the true story sounds so absurd you dont believe it makes me think i probably have grounds to sue