BENCH SEATS - Why are they out of style?

I rmember nice fluffy bench-seats in cars when I was a kid, like the one seen in the image.

Why are these usually no longer used for cars anymore?

• Erik
    Favorite Answer

Well, for the front, you can adjust separate seats for height, legroom, etc.  In the back they're pretty much still like that.  And remember, those old style cars didn't have headrests.  If someone had hit you hard from behind, you could have been SERIOUSLY injured.

The popularity of buckets with a center console and floor shifter made benches offered less. You can still get them in large luxurious cars with more room inside.

Nobody likes them anymore. That is all.  Just like avocado green fridges.

• Trump 2020
      1 month agoReport

I saved a TON of money on my new WHITE fridge. No one likes those any more either I guess.

• JetDoc

They're making cars smaller these days, and there's no longer room for three adults to sit comfortably or safely on a bench seat in the front of a car. Some pickup trucks still have three-person bench seats.