Is it okay to talk on your phone at work?

It was my first day at work (i have a fast food job) and my manager walked behind me talking about Netflix and asked her husband if he has seen this Netflix tv show etc. And I turned around to look at her because I thought she was talking to me. It was only me in that room on the computer. She looked at me and then said she was talking to her husband. She didn't have her phone in her hand so I think it was a Bluetooth but does that mean I can talk to people on the phone at work too if I have a Bluetooth?? My manager seems like a cool person who would let me do it but I don't want to risk it?? Could I do it too if she does it?

Favorite Answer

Some companies allow phone usage at work, others prohibit it. It seems for your company, it's allowed, given that your manager uses it while on the job, I doubt she would have issue if others were to as well.

I don't believe phones should be used when working at a restaurant for several reasons

1- Safety hazard: You could be on your phone and be distracted running into someone who is carrying hot plates or a sharp knife. If you're working on sharp equipment and either your phone rings/playing on it, you could wind up seriously injuring yourself

2- Cell phones are contaminated with germs: You could pass these germs onto other food, people or objects

3- It just comes off as unprofessional, playing on your phone makes it look like you don't care about your job.

I work at a restaurant and my head company bans phone usage at work. Funny enough, people do play on their phones all day at my work, to the point they're obsessed with it. I myself never am on my phone, the phone is always off and in my pocket, that way Im not distracted by it.

• Eva

Absolutely not. She shouldn't do it either, but she's the manager.

• No. With fast food jobs usually you're not supposed to be using / talking / texting on your phone while you're at work. Your phone can be a safety hazard and a distraction, also you don't want to appear rude or lazy to customers. If you're on your phone in front of a customer, that shows that you don't care.

My boss's have cell phones on the floor all the time, they use them for emergencies and to contact customers. If I was caught using a cell phone on the floor I would get fired. Cell phones are distracting, being distracted at my work place can get you injured or possibly worse. At least my boss's are responsible with their phones if they have to use them.

Managers should only be using their phone at work if it's an emergency. They shouldn't be on their phone in front of other customers or employees. If they're on their phone for personal reasons, they should do that when they're not working.

• Judy

Only if you want to get fired

No, it is never OK to talk on the phone during work hours. Your manager has EARNED her position and is the only one allowed to use her phone as she calls the shots. I wouldn't even ask if you want to keep your job. I had a store for 16 years. anyone who used the phone on company time was written up the first time and fired the next. time.

• Steve1 month agoReport

So could I talk on the phone if I was manager? That sounds cool

• Sandy

Just because your manager does it doesn't automatically mean you can, too.

Ask her what the policy is regarding personal calls and using bluetooth.

• Steve1 month agoReport

Okay Thank you I will ask her how it works