Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Are there any modern fantasy books that are NOT young adult or boring tedious drivel?

I used to read tons of fantasy as a kid in the 80s. I got out of it for a long time but recently I wanted to try some of the newer stuff.

The only thing halfway decent was Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice and China Mieville's Bas Lag. Everything else I found is utter garbage. Psalms of Isaak, Sword of Truth, Stormlight Archive, Malazan Book of the Fallen... All of them horrible, poorly written, tedious books that do nothing but put you to sleep.

Are there any modern fantasy books that are actually exciting, interesting and well-written? Why do modern fantasy readers like that boring s#!t?

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (15 books)

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series (the first 3 are the best)

Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Uplift War (yes, it's sf/fantasy)

Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt

Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson series (15 books), I like those better than the Omega series she did.

Watership Down

The Last Unicorn

Neverwhere (great read!)

American Gods

The Magicians (series)

AND you can ask any librarian for suggestions, they're completely familiar with adult fantasy.

• Speed

Another vote for Mistborn.

I also like Robin Hobb's fantasy series, especially Live Ships.

I'm not familiar with Psalms of Isaak, Stormlight Archive, or Malazan Book of the Fallen, but The Sword of Truth is rubbish.

I used to a lot of fantasy in the 80's and 90's, recently I'm reading more urban fantasy, but for high fantasy and more traditional fantasy, I find that Robin Hobb, Carol Berg and Lian Hearn are generally good authors. Hobb is probably most known for her Farseer Trilogy, which isn't bad, but I personally prefer the Liveship Trader's trilogy.

• j153e

The Three-Body Problem;

Neuromancer;

The Princess Bride;

Mistborn;

The Magicians by Grossman;

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell;

The Lies of Locke Lamora.

I can offer other suggestions, but I can't guarantee you will like them.

*The Kingkiller Chronicle

*The Wheel of Time

*Mistborn

*Discworld

*The Witcher

I should mention that I did like the first book of the Stormlight Archive (still need to read the other books). I thought the book got exciting towards the end.