Is this a Rock or Meteorite?

According to my grandmother, this rock suddenly appeared in her mother’s yard, possibly in the 60’s. My grandmother and relatives, non rock/meteorite experts, always wondered if it was a meteorite or just something other than a normal rock because of how it randomly appeared, and how unbelievably heavy it is.

They said it took multiple guys to get it from one yard to another. 

I can’t pick it up off the ground by myself. I’ve thought about rolling it onto a scale that goes up to 280lbs, but I’m sure the scale would break. It’s a tiny bit bigger than a basketball, sphere shaped, and looks like a rock, all things that point to it not being a meteorite, but it’s weight has them questioning if it’s a normal rock or not. 

I put crappy refrigerator magnets on it and think there’s a slight tug of the magnets trying to stick to the rock, but I could be wrong. The magnets are definitely not attracted to it like a refrigerator. I have more pictures if you want to see them.

Is this just a lucky rock or something else?

• Tom S

Looks like Fred Flintstone's bowling ball. 

• AndyF

That is an interesting story. Why don't you conduct your own 'investigation' by interviewing anyone who has knowledge about it. Examine the rock for any marks like tool marks. Check out where it was originally found and see if it could have fallen from a vehicle. You've already started investigating by using magnets so why not make it a fun project ? Maybe you can find the answer to your mystery rock !

• JimZ

I agree with Buster.  It is remarkably spherical.  It looks like it might have been rounded to form a canon ball or something like that but it really doesn't show much evidence of tool marks so it is an odd ball.  A meteorite would show some burn marks and it would have left quite a crater at that size.  

It is definitely not a meteorite.  It appears to be a cobble or boulder of some sort of weathered igneous rock, and if it appeared "suddenly", then the odds are extremely high that it was done by a human (someone put it there).

• Zardoz

Frankly, it looks like pumice. Your story seems like something else that appears in the yard. It isn't a meteorite. Not even a little.

Source(s): [n] = 10ⁿ