Authors: Can an antagonist be a minor character in a story? If so, how would “play” him/her/it/them in a story?

*how would you “play”

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can. I would "play" them however the story needed, but I think the antagonist needs to be as important as the main character and it's important we understand their actions. Often, the antagonist is the driving force of the mc actions. Their goal would often be a lot easier, if it wasn't for this person. If you barely feature them you'll have to build up the hate and tension another way, otherwise the last "fight" between them wont have any affect on the reader.

If you want him/her/it to be minor, of course it can.

Yes, of course they can.  When I read your question I immediately thought of Conan Doyle's Moriarty 

• Marli
      1 month agoReport

Moriarty is (was?) the criminal backing the criminals Holmes sleuths out.  Mr. Big lurking out of sight. The Teflon Professor.  Holmes's ultimate antagonist. Eventually the hero and the villain must meet, because each determines the other's actions and ultimate date.