Affidavit of support responsibilities (immigration)?

My cousin wants me to be an affidavit for her husband. However, I apply for Medicaid for my son. I also have a house under my name and some savings. How much do they look into your life? If I decide to be an affidavit for her husband ? 

• Maxi

So you would be accepting responsibility legally and financially for this person so any debts, medical expenses, if he becomes jobless, can't pay the rent, you are responsible.as you can't afford to pay your own living costs, you can't afford to sponsor someone else ( and it is unlikely you woud be accepted)

This is a BIG ask.. By agreeing to this, you potentially be supporting this guy for years to come.. Consider VERY carefully before agreeing to it

• Lisa A

You will have potentially unlimited financial liability for him, potentially forever. Even if he murders your cousin.

Cosponsorship is UNLIMITED legal & financial responsibility for the person you sponsor or sponsor. Certainly you are liable for a minimum of 10 years, however, your liability can be permanent in a number of situations. 

Horror stories of financial ruin are legend. E.g. parents cosponsored their daughter's spouse. He borrowed their car, got into a horrific accident (he was drunk), killed at least one & maimed the other car's remaining occupants. Wrongful death suit took the parents' home, retirement savings, everything they had ever worked for, plus permanent medical care & support of majorly injured son-in-law. Since SIL was not listed on the parents' policy & he was drunk, NO insurance coverage!

Do NOT cosponsor. And since you get public benefits for a family member (despite owning a house?!!!), you do not qualify as cosponsor anyway. Tell your cousin you do not qualify as a cosponsor & will not do anything to help.

I would never sign an affidavit for anyone, except, perhaps, my spouse. Potentially you can be on the financial hook for the rest of your natural life, even decades after that man divorced your cousin and lives the good life. Why would you do that?

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

i would ask your cousin this question