I can’t find a job. What can I study in grad school?

I’ve tried for over 3 years to get a job. Everything rejects me and I’m getting aggravated. I’m 26 years old and I have a degree in English Lit. I don’t have any credentials. Obviously people see my English Lit degree and completely disregard me. I guess I need grad school. My generous grandparents offered to pay for grad school for me. What should I study? I am not good at mathematics and computer stuff. My only skill is that I am a good writer. 

Favorite Answer

trades pay well,, colls & unis jobs are a flooded market,

forthought on what occupations are consistently hiring  would have helped

Nonsense. English majors have been hired at a faster rate over the past 10 years than engineering majors because companies value good communication skills. Either you're applying for the wrong jobs, or you don't interview well. If you're going to go to grad school, find a technical writing program. Technical writers are in demand, and the salaries are good. 

• Max
      1 month agoReport

THANK-YOU. Finally someone who isnt condescending and dismissive. Thank you. 5 Stars!

So there are 2 scenarios here and you can let us know which it is

1) You only want to get a specific type of job and you are not flexible enough to actually take a job where you might eventually be able to do something you like

2) You are one of the only people on the planet that can't get hired by Starbucks or McDonalds

• Max
      1 month agoReport

I honestly don’t know what direction you are going with the second one. If youre saying I’m too dumb to even be hired by a fast food/coffee retail chain- up yours Idc what you think. If you are saying I’m too educated for that job- uh tons of people have to work retail. I’ll do it if I fail

maybe you could write books if youre a good writer

• Max
      1 month agoReport

That’s not a career. I’m a decent writer but I’m not creative. 

• John

If you do decide to switch to a different field, be sure to decide what you want to do for a living first. Do not start studying something, and then later try to find out what you can do with that major.

That being said, have you attempted to use your degree in a career?  My sister majored in English.  After graduating, she found a job as an associate editor with a publishing firm in NY, did some ghost writing, and is now self-employed as a literary agent (authors have agents, just like actors or athletes).  The bottom line is that, with a career path in mind, English is not a useless major.

You can also consider getting a teaching certificate, or applying for civil service positions.  Many career civil service jobs ask only for a 4 year degree in any subject.

• Max
      1 month agoReport

I’m trying to get into editing. I’ve been applying to Penguin Random House and Scholastic non-stop for 3 months. They keep rejecting me. 

Maybe you should have gotten a useful degree.

• Max
      1 month agoReport

You aren’t going to solve ****. Also If I lived in Ancient Greece, I would die in childbirth anyway so your point is invalid. 

Study how to install showerstalls

• Max
      1 month agoReport

Why bother answering if you just want to be a dick?

• .

You could apply to law school.  But unless your undergraduate GPA is well above a 3.0, you won't be accepted to most any grad or professional school.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Guy