Volkswagen polo 1.2 petrol 2006 starting issues?

Hi, recently after passing my test my polo has been having intermittent starting issues. This doesn t happen every time I try and start it but once I turn the key, the car will crank likle it usually does, the lights inside and everything work fine, it will often take a while for the engine to start, sometimes 4-5 times. It will plutter then finally start. It doesn t matter if the engine is hot or cold, it will do this either way. Once the engine is running it operates completely fine with no issues. I ve searched online and found the most common answer that it could be a failing/bad crankshaft position sensor. Any thoughts.

Thanks.

DO NOT STEP ON THE GAS PEDAL.  They will take longer if your foot is on the gas.  That has always been the way.  If it is carburetted then you step on the gas once (to set the automatic choke) and then TAKE YOUR FOOT AWAY.  If it is FI you do not have a choke to set.  So you never touch the GP.  It sounds like the weather is getting colder where you are at, so the choke is necessary.  It will start and idle fast like 1800RPM and as the engine warms up it will slow down to about 1000RPM.   This is NORMAL.

.  You are getting NEAR to end of battery life 7year max and you are 14 so that will happen soon.  THAT IS EXPECTED & NORMAL.  You can buy at WalMart.  Just giving you a heads up Xmas present.

Step on the gas pedal just a bit when starting.  Car starts fine, clean the idle air control valve or replace it.

If there is no difference, when starting leave the key to ON for about 5 seconds, key OFF for 5 seconds, key ON again for 5 seconds and then finally start the car.  Car starts fine, fuel pump check valve is bad.  The check valve is integrated with the fuel pump and cannot be replaced by itself.

A bad crank sensor will normally cause a "cranking but not starting" on a vehicle.