Gregg
Gregg asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

My last name sounds foreign. When translated into English, it means First, Number One or Ahead. Could you suggest an Americanized version?

Favorite Answer

Your last name is PRIUS? ; ' ) That also means first.

PROXIMO (Latin)

Eins (German)

OK, seriously...you need to let us know what your last name is for a better answer. It's the only way we will know in which direction to go.

• Gregg
      1 month agoReport

I'll take Prius

Almost every last name in the USA "sounds foreign" for the simple reason that the USA is a nation of migrants with people from all over the world.

Americanising names often backfires. Samuel Goldwyn, the film producer was named Szmuel Gelbfisz when he arrived in the UK from Poland.  He changed  it to Samuel Goldfish in the UK and lived and worked under that name for years in the USA. 

When he started in movies, he had a partner, Archibald Selwyn, and they combined the names to form Goldwyn Productions, he later adopted the name. At least they didn't combine the names to make Selfish Productions.

• William
      1 month agoReport

To Tentofield:  FYI:  Gold in German is still gold.  Gelb is the color yellow.  ; ' )  (FYI:  I lived in Germany for 9 years).

That's impossible to do without knowing what your name is.

edit:  I understand that but not all translations "work." If you do that, you may very well end up with a very strange or presumptuous-sounding last name. You'd be better off with a modified form of your surname.

• Gregg

I'm looking for an American version using only the English translation I've provided.