dark asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

How do I attract bobcats ? What's the best way and where can I find them ? Please tell me as I'm planning to do this and take it home?

Where should I go as I'm planning to do this for the first time. I'm living in Dallas Texas. What foods and smells would attract them ? I'm not hunting it , I just want to trap it and take it home as a pet

Meat suit         

First check with state game dept/DNR, whatever. May be illegal unless licensed to have a 'wild animal' as pet, especially if planning to trap adult. Trap a kitten and domesticate it- maybe possible but dangerous. I was told of a sort of pet pair of bobcats in Wisconsin raised from kittens in country, minor hassle with DNR but since they weren't caged wasn't prosecuted. Other poster has advised couple breeds of domestic cats like Maine Coon, better chance of NOT getting face ripped with them. Havahart traps with some venison or couple of dead rats my attract a small young bobcat , take chances with law and scratching. Texas I think has a exemption for El Tigre, Mexican Margey that is classed as a domestic cat if it is purchase from pet store, 30 pound spotted cat about same size as big Maine Coon that is/was used as mouse catcher, pet in Mexican farms, some houses in town. Otherwise you might need to get a license for exotic animals or as a rehabilitator or a private zoo to legally keep a captured wild animal. Might find a Lynx/Bobcat kitten at humane society and be able to 'adopt' it.  If you want to cause a ruckus in neighborhood, get a feral hog piglet and raise it in back yard. Several trappers of feral hog sounders will have some piglets available- often raised to 60 to 100 pounds before becoming barbecue. Neighbors might be more upset about feral hogs than large feral/wild cat. 

• curmudgeon55
      1 month agoReport

Which is why most states say NO to trying to make pets of them, same with Racoons especially males after 2 years old and mature- then is when Coons get nasty,' pet' becomes a cap if still in house. Welding gloves needed for bathing many 'domestic' cats... 

Please let us know when you attempt this as I want to watch the Bob Cat tear you a fresh one!

I have no clue you gotta think for yourself 

Get some catnip and go out into the woods and call, here kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty.

• WayneH

Reading your reply to Johnny, you're a fool.  It's against the law to trap and keep these animals.

• dark2 months agoReport

You are not a very nice guy seeking to gain nearness to God as seeing how you disrespect me and call me a fool. 

Bobcats that you can catch are several generations from being tame enough to be pets. I had a ferule cat once that would beat up a German Shepard for laughs, old Smoky only weighted in at twenty pounds! A bobcat would eat a Pitbull and not think twice about it. It probably would be interested in seconds. While Bobcats have been reported to get up to sixty pounds, often they are about half that. Thirty pounds of cat is not something to try and make friends with. If you some how found a kitten- the mother would tear you up before you could shout ma-ma! They are natural killers and go for the jugular vein by instinct.

Just go find a main coon cat or some other domesticated breed. I would suggest an Alpine Lynx, American Bobtail Cat or Pixie-bob Cat.

You can not do that its illegals All over America.They are on the endangered lists.

• Rick

Mr Dark, not meaning to be blasphemous, but that legal or not business applies only if you can get God and the Bible to pay your fine and do your jail time.

You might want to try part of a deer carcass. A whole one. They eat so much that they will eat 5-15 pounds of meat everyday which is 20% of their body weight, which is 50-125 pounds in size. They can eat up to 40 pounds in one sitting as well so watch out for bobcats. If you are in bobcat country you should have at least a .300 Winchester magnum in order to drop them in one shot because if one charges at you anything less will result in you getting attacked because they are so big. These cats are no pets. I would recommend a small group of 2 or 3 if your going hunting for one because they can move so fast and are so huge and are predatory. Good luck but I wouldn't do it.

• nocountmf1 month agoReport

bobcats ain't "huge"

No problem. Just go out into the woods where they're known to hang out and just sit there for a day or two. They'll find you. You are food. They'll find you.