Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

Is it normal that I feel this way about drinking as a teenager?!?! Why am I so hesitant about it??

Since I've been a teenager, I've never had any crazy interest in drinking like everyone else that I know. I don't know what it is, but something about it just makes me uncomfortable. I feel so weird/abnormal for feeling this way! I have had small amounts of alcohol with my friends before, but nothing heavy like vodka. Apart of me thinks that it's because several people in my family have had alcohol addiction issues, but I don't know...

I already know I'm going to get this comment. Yes, I know that teenagers are not supposed to be drinking alcohol! Even though MANY still do.

• Will

I've had friends like that. They don't like they feeling they get when getting tipsy and they have never had more than a couple of beers or more than a single drink. I think that is fine. You know yourself and what you are comfortable with. I on the other hand can be a total binge drinker on the weekends at times, although the older I get the less that happens.

It's normal to be hesitant about something you've never tried before. It's also good that you feel that way because drinking isn't always a good thing anyways.

Don't even try it untill your are over 18 I was introduced to alcohol at 16 by adults that treated me as a 30 year old they even bought it for me and 15 years later my life is ruined from alcoholism

I admire your hesitancy. I know people who are fourth generation alcoholics. The safest thing to do is to ignore peer pressure and avoid alcohol. You could check with your doctor to see if s/he knows a way to diagnose a predisposition to alcoholism.

• Bill

yes it is normal not to follow the sheep and get drunk all the time. having an occassional beer when very hot is alright

haveing lots to be able to enjoy yourself is not good so if that is what your friends do , get a new group of friends

Yes, either a child follows in their relatives' footsteps with drink, or they feel dead set against abusing it. You are smart enough to know the right path in life to take. You've seen the destruction alcohol can cause and you want no part of it. That's a very wise choice to make. 

It seems that you are likely mature for your age and/or you were not raised in a way that glorifies alcohol.