Psy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How to disown my family?

Hi, so I've been alone pretty much in this so called family. 

Yes, we have our fair share of 'healthy' arguments but very rarely any actual love between us but they always have love for the rest of the family accept me. So in response to this, my emotions have disappeared I lack empathy for others more than i did in school. 

My parents last week kicked me out of the house and told my sibling that I left in a tantrum which was complete lies. When I confronted them they just ignored the question and invited me back. Now i wish i hadn't come back. Things keep getting worse 

I try to 'change' for them by keeping silent even more and never saying my opinion,  yet they consistently criticize me especially my mum, when i stand up for myself and say 'can you not criticize me all the time' she goes ballistic. And the other day I referred my mum to my dad in front of her as a 'she' and she went all lose hell over that.

I'm sick and tired of consistently being yelled at for nothing, criticized for how i dress, look, act ect. 

I'm ready to disown and move on with my life even if my siblings will all of a sudden 'love' me by contacting me on a regular bases to convince me to come back when we haven't spoken to each other for several months since the last family get together because my parents wanted me to be there as well. 

Please help.

just dont contact them

• Frank

If you are 18...MOVE THE HELL OUT. If you are not yet 18...then PLAN for your 18th birthday. GET ALL YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW...get a job and a place to stay and reliable transport. You don't need asswipes behaving badly around you. NOBODY DOES. DOCUMENT EVERY TRANSGRESSION. Video tape and audio tape their nonsense. 

It would seem that you are rather out of sync with the rest of your family. You don't necessarily need to "change" for anyone, but you might think about becoming a little more accepting and try to argue less. It does take two to argue, and there will always be people you disagree with occasionally including work colleagues, bosses - and even your spouse when you marry. So get some practice in! Your parents are no more perfect than you or I. They probably think that you do not respect them - which you don't, rightly or wrongly. Try to see your parents through the eyes of your siblings if you can. Focus on what is great about your family - as you would like them to do for you. Perhaps you can even have a meeting with your parents (and siblings?) to talk about how you can play your part in improving your relationship with them - and listen to them. Try to be a peace maker by working on your own thoughts. If you have angry thoughts, these will come out in your speech and actions. Listen to Tom Paxton's song, Peace Will Come. Good Luck!

• david

They're obviously toxic to you, so you should leave and ignore them for a while. If you don't tolerate their treatment of you then they can't treat you so abysmally.