Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 2 months ago

Men, how would it make you feel if a woman insulted your fiance's ring in front of your face?

We were at a Christmas gathering a couple days ago. My cousin is engaged to a girl who so happens to be my fiance's co-worker. In case you couldn't tell by the title, I don't like her attitude one bit.

My wife has a 1.10 carat center stone with a pave setting and a halo. I know, a lot of people will roll their eyes at this but this is what she likes and I asked her exactly what her style of ring is, as she will be wearing it the rest of her life. With the center stone, pave setting and halo, the ring totals 2.1 carats.

Cousin's fiance took my newly engaged fiance's hand into hers and made the snidest look at the ring that you will ever see. She said: "I'm glad I don't have an engagement ring that looks like every other ring." And something about not being like other girls and all that drama.

She then said that her ring was betters because her ring was a custom design. It literally has a similar pave setting and the only thing that makes it look "different" is that it has two sapphires on the side. Whoopdie freakin doo. You can still buy that at any other store.

Now, we all know that when men get angry at women they can't get into physical altercations, so as she turned to walk away from us I called out to her "At least her diamond is bigger than yours!" She locked herself in the bathroom after that and my cousin had t convince her to come out. I say she deserves it. Woman or man, you don't talk to my girl like that.

Men, would you react differently?

"My wife has a 1.10 carat center stone" okay and why would people roll their eyes at a small ring?

"as she will be wearing it the rest of her life" aren't you the optimistic one! lol

"With the center stone, pave setting and halo, the ring totals 2.1 carats." okay???

"She then said that her ring was betters because her ring was a custom design." well to be honest, custom designs are pretty cool and unique. you could have splurged a bit too if you wanted to

"Whoopdie freakin doo." why are you jealous of a girl, dude? calm down lol

"we all know that when men get angry at women they can't get into physical altercations" okay?

"so as she turned to walk away from us I called out to her "At least her diamond is bigger than yours!"" ....pity comeback, dude, and when she walked away? coward.

"I say she deserves it." for what? stating her opinion???

if you really want to be a man, shut your mouth and bite your tongue. 

One thing you will learn is that women are like this with each other. Women are the weaker sex so they rely on words to attack their opponents and ALL women are an opponent. It's all a competition to them. Who has the biggest ring, house, best husband, job, kids etc. So my advice with this type of situation. Let your wife deal with it.

I'm not a man but I know how hard it is to be the bigger person with certain people.  I gained weight in my fifties and my father keeps calling me fat every time he sees me.  We went back and forth with it...I talked about him because he's fat and out of shape he gets polyps of food in his intestines because his gallbladder removed and liver is bad so the doctor has to go in and remove them every so many months. He ate so wrong the food is passing thru him whole.  I understood at an early age he is childish and evil and will never change.  I know it's best not to get into it with these people but I get so angry after all the insults every time he's around.  You can try to control it but don't ever apologize for it.

• Ocimom

I would say "I don't want to be in debt over a ring the rest of my life like you will".  And walk away.

• Kelly

Both of you sound ridiculous.  

My husband would have totally responded differently.  He's a grown man and a gentleman at that, he wouldn't have responded to it at all.  He doesn't care what other people think of my ring, he cared what I did and he's not going to get into arguments (especially at a work function) over frivolous BS.  Man or woman he wouldn't engage with someone in a physical altercation over their taste in a ring..  wtf?  who does that?

As far as "Woman or man, you don't talk to my girl like that".  I can 100% hold my own, I don't need/want my husband to do it for me.

You btw, weren't really insulting her ..  you were insulting your own cousin since I'm assuming that is who picked out and/or bought the ring.

Also, a fiance is a man and a fiancee is a woman.

Essentially - neither of you is coming out of this looking good

Be an adult and just say “I’m sorry you feel that way” or “Good thing it’s not your ring, then!” or even “That’s an awfully rude thing to say, don’t you think?” Rather than being a baby and attempting to one-up her by bragging about the diamond (and yelling it out a a party for all to hear, no less).

She sounds like a jerk, but you also acted immaturely. You and this woman both need to grow the hell up.

Yes, I would have but she had it coming. At least you stood up for your fiancees' honor. Hopefully, she knows not to insult her in the future.

Here's a huge tip - when people openly initiate snide/rude comments like hers -  cutting other people down to make themselves feel better - they are highly insecure.

I'd say next time something like this happens, instead of stooping down to her level, tell her you feel sorry for her.  That because she's so insecure with who she is, she tries to tear other people down to make herself feels better.  Doing that with a look of sympathy on your face will hopefully rock her to the core and get her to curb that behavior around you.

Yes, mature men would act differently than that.

Mature men would also know that a fiance is MALE.

Enjoy your day, wee little troll.