Canned beef stew & biscuits in slow cooker??

Has anyone tried adding a can of beef stew like Hormel s and then adding biscuits and slow cooked in a crockpot? Didn t know if the biscuits would cook as well or should i try baking this instead? What are your thoughts??? Thanks!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It would be like making dumplings for the top of the stew.

• Login to reply the answers
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If its canned beef stew, its pretty much cooked already, so I'd 'bake' some biscuits then heat the stew up in a saucepan, then serve them together.

No need for the slow cooker.

• 2 months ago

Eww please noooooo

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's already cooked so it only needs heating up.  The general rule is anything in cans is already cooked unless the instructions tell you different, so what is the point of putting it in a slow cooker?  Just bake the biscuits and warm up the stew in a pan.

A friend of my mother's made a beef stew from scratch, made dumplings and put them in at the start.  3 hours later, they had dissolved.  Oops.  I strongly suspect the same would happen to biscuits if they spent hours in a wet stew in a slow cooker.

Just for fun, do you know the history of canning?  It comes from when the British and French navies used to lose a lot of sailors to malnutrition - more than ever died in battle.  If they're at sea for months, what do you eat when fresh food only lasts a few days?  Remember no fridges or freezers.  A Frenchman came up with a process for preserving food in glass bottles, but glass breaks and could get knocked about on a ship... then William Donkin came up with cans made of tinplate.  Cook the food already sealed in the can, that kills any bugs and no more can get in because it's already sealed, bingo, you have food that will last for years and all you have to do is open the can and warm it up.  Thinking about it, what Donkin did was invent pasteurisation before Louis Pasteur!

The Royal Navy's death rate from bad food plummeted like a stone.  And that's what is still done in canning factories.  Part of how it works is that the food is already cooked in the can, so all YOU have to do is heat it up, like the sailors did.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'd put it in a Dutch Oven, uncovered, in the oven at the temperature at which the biscuits are to bake. Bring the stew to temperature before you add the biscuits.

• 2 months ago

The biscuits, rather dumplings if cooked on a stew and steamed, need a higher heat than you will get in the slow cooker. 

I would bake the biscuits in the oven. 

• 2 months ago

Wouldn't the just get gooey?

• 2 months ago

Your biscuits will end up being dumplings.  

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Didn't know there was a canned stew worth eating besides Dinty Moore. My mother used to do it with homemade stew. Put it in a wide pot, lay biscuits on top and bake till the biscuits are done. The tops are brown and the bottoms are wet with stew juices almost like a dumpling. Good stuff but you gotta bake it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Absolutely not.

Bake the biscuits in the oven and heat the stew in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.

Canned stew is already cooked.  There is zero need to put it in a slow cooker.  You cannot bake biscuits in a can of stew. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.