Why is it typically a bad idea for a married couple to have a large family of 8 to 12 kids?

Favorite Answer

Maybe because all the kids don't get proper attention from the parents. And maybe because most people can't afford just three kids, let alone a dozen.

• Ann

Decades ago, people lived on farms and lived a rural lifestyle.  A large family ensured there would be help on the farm to do all of the work that needed to be done.  Living on a farm, in turn, ensured there would be food to eat and everyone could be fed.  In today's world, the agrarian lifestyle no longer exists.  The majority of families live a "city" lifestyle, which means having to purchase everything.  It's not practical nor cost-effective to try to raise a large family in the world we live in today.

Historically families had large numbers because they loved on farms and needed the manpower.

Because there is no way that a wife even givesashit about her husband anymore. That's why all these guys with that many kids are out nutting with anybitch.

• Ocimom

Because if something happens to one of the parents and they die or leave, the other one has a VERY high burden to provide for that many kids.

• .

Nowadays, it's rare for a married couple to be able to afford to properly provide for such a large # of kids. However, any couple who can do so and wants to, should do what they feel is right for them.

Consider that in 2017 "the average cost of raising a child from birth through age 17 is $233,610." With 8 kids that jumps to over $1.8 MILLION dollars, and that's not even considering helping the kids with college. I don't know about you, but personally I don't know any couples of childbearing age, who can afford nearly $2 MM in the next 17 yrs, to raise 8 kids (much less more).

• Kelly

A lot of it is finances and being able to support that many kids without any type of assistance and another part of is being able to give each kid enough one on one attention.

I have 6 kids of my own total.  2 are young adults and doing their own thing now, the other 4 are all under 10 years old.  Plus we do foster care and we have 2 foster kids right now.

Financially I can provide very well for all of them, in a cushy lifestyle.  I make a point to give all of my kids enough 1 on 1 time, my husband tries his best in that area but he has a very demanding job and often doesn't have time for himself let alone a spouse and 6 kids.  He however makes the best of the time he does have.

• Burgoo

the bad idea is the married part

It is a massive responsibility to care for them, every child needs attention, love and time. They need a good diet and education. You should seriously contemplate why you want so many kids. Long time ago many families were large. It was a different time . We didn’t have the social media, drugs, alcohol and climate change. Times have drastically changed and bringing children into this world is not going to be easy. Personally I think it is a bad idea.

• Mikey

This planet doesn't need more humans.  We are the worst thing that ever happened to it.

• Dze

the cost of living imposed on the country by the elite is the only reason not to ..