Do you often find yourself let down, when your expectations to not conform to experienced reality?

What can one do to minimize the effects of potential disappointments?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There are 3 ways that you can trust someone.

1) You can trust them to be who they are believed-to-be.

2) You can trust them as you find themย  (previously who they really were)

3) You can trust them with the knowledge & facts-at-hand so to speak.

Not one of these are comprehensive facts like for example our Trust INย 

the philosophy of the Ancient Greeks as the very first historical westernย 

philosophy on record. Or not a comprehensive fact like that of our

Technical & philosophical foundations shaken up by the activism of

Greta Thunberg & her Environmental Group.

They are though comprehensive enough facts to highlight a behavioural

trend here in Philosophy which has its roots or foundations in naรฏve-

subjective-philosophy ; a Darwinian behavioural trend which MAY NOT

BE CRITICAL Enough of the subjects whom we may want-to-trust or

whom we can trust. Conversely this competitive-type-philosophy MAY

BE TOO CRITICAL of the subjects who we may decidedly trust.

Because In Philosophy as in science we can trust who we want-to-

when-we-want-to even AFTER our mistake of trusting someone withย 

any other freely behavioural plan - that is whenever our expectationsย 

do NOT conform to such a pre-planned-reality, the reality of one'sย 

realistic personal plan so to speak.

ย  ย  ย 

ย 

• ...Show all comments
    • peter m
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

modern historical stuff (philosophy included). In this way challenging yourself to add to your obviously considerable knowledge held now (I saw your new blog & its a concise piece of work I must say).

• Login to reply the answers
  • Not anymore.ย ย 

Expectations are a royal witch!ย  They will let you down more times than not.

I have never in my life tried to conform to anything other than what was in my own best interest to do so.

Live your life for yourself.ย  Be true to yourself alone.ย  If you don't, there is absolutely nobody else who will!

Follow your own path and always, let your heart be your guide.ย  Your individual journey is yours alone.ย  Keep it sacred.ย  Don't listen or be influenced by others.ย  They can't live your life or for that matter, even understand it.ย  Just be yourself and you will be just fine.ย  :D

Source(s): Life's lessons
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When people have high personal standards, it is relatively easy to let her/himself down, but, rather than take that as the outcome, one can overcome being unduly critical or harsh on her/himself by seeing their shortfalls or failures as room to learn, grow, and improve instead of being crushed by disappointment or lowering standards.

• 1 month ago

Not much, really. Sometimes a thing we try is defeated for some reason. It just happens. We also sometimes get lucky breaks too. Luck is fickle that way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just go with the flow and f*ck expectations.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

PIE *spek-, to observe, ---> expect.ย  If one's expecting is primarily imaginative, the visual dynamic is primarily intra-personal, day-dreaming, and secondarily may be directly influenced by images or objects of desire or coveting.ย  It is how many general hypotheses are constructed.

An hypothesis is an expectation, a general surmise; data of reality tends to confirm or satisfy one's imaginative hypothesis, or not.ย  Such personally-based expectations are typically both cognitive and affective.

Therefore, a wisdom or wise dominion during the expectation or imagination hypothesizing period:ย  the wilder or greater one's flights of expecting, the more sober ought be one's second-track concurrent estimation of the likelihood of a confirming reality.ย  In common parlance, "Get a grip on yourself" expresses the self-aware, self-monitoring associated with mirror neurons' first empathizing with others, and then developing awareness of self in a prospective or imagined similar situation; e.g., autistic spectrum mirror neuron activity is significantly less than the general population's; watching sports figures or actors provides imaginative tracking, but one's own hopes for similar feats may well be moderated by self-awareness of one's own potential.

Thus, the balancing of imagination-hope, with the "second track" self-awareness that the more grand one's expectations, the less likely they may tend to be confirmed by atom-based reality data.ย  Such "expect but estimate" dual-tracking strategy may well minimize shock of disappointment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive-affective_...

https://www.edge.org/conversation/the-neurology-of...

• 1 month ago

There are two ways in which you can trust someone. You can either trust them to be who you believe them to be, or you can trust them to be who they really are. Only one of those will ever truly betray you.

Know your allies before you know your enemies.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I no longer set expectations for just about everything. That is becouse just about everything sucks. Can't go out to eat with something not being screwed up. Can't have a car without something going screwy. Can't have a wife without expecting her to suck at times. Hey, of something positive happens that's wonderful,but more times then not, something is ****** up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Set your expectations lower, the lower you go, the lower the disappointments.ย 

I have learned to expect nothing or almost nothing from anyone, so I am rarely disappointed. More often pleasant surprised.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.