Can anyone find the name of this book? OLD WW2 POW Camp tale?

It was a very old book given to me by my dad, the book itself was likely printed in the 80s, and my dad, who is now over 60, read it when he was a young teen, so the original had to have been printed in the 50s.

A WW2 POW autobiographical story about a young British Airman who's plane (possibly a bomber but im not sure) crash landed in German territory and was captured, and lived in multiple POW camps over his time before failing to escape then successfully escaping a second time a couple of years later. I don't remember his name.

His fly on the wall writing and personal takes were fascinating to read and his escape attempts were interesting as well, but i cannot for the life of me remember the name, and google books was useful, but i couldn't find the one i was looking for despite a great deal of effort.

A common insult he received from Germans throughout the book was "british pigdog", if that helps anyone.

I think possibly the book is "Password is Courage". While the story is not about an aircrew member it is about a British POW in German POW camps. It was published in the 50's. Also his biography can be found here:

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/Charles_Coward

• thanks for the attempt but no this mans history is nothing like the book i read

I think it might be "The Wooden Horse" by Eric Williams.