Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Yummy recipes to freeze or reheat later for grandparents? ?

My grandparents are at the point where their health is critical. My grandma ended up in the hospital and has been there for 4 days and will need to continue being seen. At this point my grandpa is fairly immobile. They aren’t really that old but they now both my heart problems. The biggest issue is their diet. They don’t cook at home and when they try to it ends up being microwaved. Their oven hasn’t been used in awhile but we’ve picked it up. They were told by doctors five years ago when my grandpa had a heart attack that if they didn’t Change her diet she’d be following and she has. My goal is to make meals for them every week to bring to them and have them reheat in the oven. Does anyone have some awesome yummy recipes I could make at the beginning of the week that they could easily do? They don’t really have any allergies and generally eat whatever. I know there’s meal delivery services but if I do it (our granddaughter made this and put the effort in) they’re more likely to accept it and work on it. Thank you!

• Janet

Baked chicken, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower (or oven roasted vegetables, or a green salad).

The basic guidelines are:  half of the plate is vegetables, 1/4 is lean meat (poultry or seafood), 1/4 is a complex carbohydrate (usually brown rice or whole wheat or quinoa or whole wheat pasta).

Note that potato and corn should be eaten sparingly. They are not classes as a vegetable, but as a carbohydrate because of their high starch content ... and they are not a complex carbohydrate.  But once or twice a week is fine.

The answer to the larger question, how to get healthy food to gramps and nan, has a combination of answers. They can make an acceptable healthy breakfast in the microwave with scrambled eggs, canadian bacon and a toaster to make toast or the occasional waffle. If meals on wheels is available, sign them up. It's good food, and usually well balanced. That leaves dinner,where you come in. Do nicely seasoned proteins with frozen veggies and light desserts. Beef stew without root veggies (I use onion and mushrooms), tomato and lean meat chili, Salisbury steak, sliced poached chicken breast with a nice sauce etc. Fruit and sherbets should make a nice dessert.

Your goal is to make appetizing meals with low fat and no refined carbs.

Chili,Soups Spagetti

your real goal should be to find care takers for your grand parents.

you didn't say where you lived but Meals on Wheels operates all over the US and provides nutritious meals, at a reasonable cost, once a day, delivered. Check into that first.

Next see about a personal care attendant to come in and help with bathing, medication, making beds, etc. Most cities of size in the US have such services for elderly and for the handicapped. I used to work for one such place and cared for a handicapped woman.

You can still make some meals for them for a personal care attendant to prep and give them to eat.

Why not spend a day at your grandparents home and speak with grandpa about what he would love to have for a home cooked meal. Whats yummy to me may not be what he wants to eat.

Soups

Stews

Casseroles 

Even a meal you would have at home, roast beef, chicken, can all be portioned onto a plate then frozen.  All they would have to do is pop it in the microwave and heat any of these up. 

I always kept soup, stew and casseroles in the freezer when my husband was ill. Made it very easy to heat up a meal for him.

They need a nursing home

just make their favourite meals