Anonymous

Was this racism?

When I was on the bus earlier, I saw a woman of color with two white children. The children looked about 2 and 5 and I was a bit concerned so I asked if those children were hers or if she was just babysitting. She then accused me of being a ‘racist’.

• Tommy

It could be considered racist. I could also be considered ignorant. It also seems to be a lie. You just made up that story didn't you?

.

It don’t seem you expressed hatred, callousness, nor absurdity against the nonwhite woman in your concern for the white

children so I don’t consider your question racist. Children traveling on public buses with adults are usually same races as

the adults. You acceptably asked why she possibly have children of a different race. The woman probably have inferiority

complex of being her race and want to suppress her racial identity problems by irrationally accusing you of being racist.

.

Nô,

According to black folk racism = bias +

powr & sinc most of us common white ppl

have non by their logic we can't be ėîťhėr!

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

You say you were "a bit concerned".  Is it possible that the reason for your concern was the possibility that the children had been kidnapped?  If it had been two children of color with a white woman, would you have assumed that she was kidnapping them?

If your answer to both questions is "yes", then your question did NOT express racism.  Otherwise, while your question did not have to do with "race", it WAS very likely based in your acceptance of racism.

• Yes, this was racist. Why would you suspect these children were not her own? These could be biracial children, stepchildren, adopted children, or foster children. Were you concerned about their care or just that they seemed not to belong together? Would you have asked the same question if the children were "of color" and the woman was White? Or if they were of the same color?

• Poppy

Unless the children seemed distressed, it fell under NYFB( none of your phuquing buissness). I think your question was racist.

It was very rude

She was justifiably in her rights when someone asks something so rude of her. Next time THINK before you ask someone something like that.

There are foster parents, there are people who adopt, there are people who marry guys who have kids already, there are hundreds of reasons for her to be with two kids and she doesn't need you butting into her life because you think something is weird about their color.