Do Australians eat scones?

Boris Johnson was caught up in a political storm in a teacup recently with a comment he made about scones. He mentioned the Cornish ate them the correct way by putting jam on first and then cream (which is the correct way). Cornwall’s neighbours in Devon were outraged as they put cream on first and then jam which is just complete madness. They’ve scone insane in Devon. A massive public debate ensued and there can be nothing more British than a spat over scones. It would be good if that was all we had to worry about. 

Do you lot say scone properly so that it rhymes with gone? Or do you rhyme it with stone?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Kate
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Absolutely we eat Scones, jam first then cream. We have a nationwide group of Ladies (The Country Women's Association or CWA) who are famous for their scones and even sell ther own scone mix. I love making them with a little bit of lemonade to make them lighter.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I eat savory scones all the time, I put the hummus first and then the tabouli.

• 1 month ago

i love scones jam first then the Cream with a Nice Cup of tea

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes    and have  done so for many years

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

we eat them naturally ,must be the pommy blood  in me   ,..and I say scon,  rhymes with ron .

Devonshire teas we call it ..cream and jam

I know ya spell it scone  BTW  

• 1 month ago

Perhaps scones are considered too 'white' and racist nowadays for polite society? You really need to have a portrait of HRH on the wall to get the full scone experience, I would remove the jam and cream and replace it with bacon and smashed avo, and if an egg somehow got in there as well I would be OK with that, I always pronounced it as rhymes with Don.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes they do some times raisins are added to the mix 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's pronounced scone.  Like I'm going to pull a big fat scone through my bong for brekky.

Update:  And yes I forgot, in America they're called biscuits and they're served with mushroom and sausage gravy.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My Mother was Scottish so she said scon/ gone, 

My father Cornish so he  said scone, but we all did jam first and still do.

• 1 month ago

This issue was recently addressed on an episode of the podcast The Kitchen Table- in Britain. They asked the audience about the pronunciation, and the audience split pretty evenly.  I always thought it rhymed with "gone" because that was the Scottish pronunciation. I really think that food items should retain the pronunciation of their origins- which is why I don't understand why Brits and Australians can't pronounce "paella" properly as "pa- eya". 

• ...Show all comments
    • Brooky
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

What the Americans call biscuits look a bit like scones, but the texture is completely different.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.