Do Australians eat scones?

Boris Johnson was caught up in a political storm in a teacup recently with a comment he made about scones. He mentioned the Cornish ate them the correct way by putting jam on first and then cream (which is the correct way). Cornwall’s neighbours in Devon were outraged as they put cream on first and then jam which is just complete madness. They’ve scone insane in Devon. A massive public debate ensued and there can be nothing more British than a spat over scones. It would be good if that was all we had to worry about. 

Do you lot say scone properly so that it rhymes with gone? Or do you rhyme it with stone?

• Kate

Absolutely we eat Scones, jam first then cream. We have a nationwide group of Ladies (The Country Women's Association or CWA) who are famous for their scones and even sell ther own scone mix. I love making them with a little bit of lemonade to make them lighter.

I eat savory scones all the time, I put the hummus first and then the tabouli.

i love scones jam first then the Cream with a Nice Cup of tea

Yes    and have  done so for many years

we eat them naturally ,must be the pommy blood  in me   ,..and I say scon,  rhymes with ron .

Devonshire teas we call it ..cream and jam

I know ya spell it scone  BTW  

Perhaps scones are considered too 'white' and racist nowadays for polite society? You really need to have a portrait of HRH on the wall to get the full scone experience, I would remove the jam and cream and replace it with bacon and smashed avo, and if an egg somehow got in there as well I would be OK with that, I always pronounced it as rhymes with Don.

Yes they do some times raisins are added to the mix 

It's pronounced scone.  Like I'm going to pull a big fat scone through my bong for brekky.

Update:  And yes I forgot, in America they're called biscuits and they're served with mushroom and sausage gravy.

• Tavy

My Mother was Scottish so she said scon/ gone, 

My father Cornish so he  said scone, but we all did jam first and still do.

This issue was recently addressed on an episode of the podcast The Kitchen Table- in Britain. They asked the audience about the pronunciation, and the audience split pretty evenly.  I always thought it rhymed with "gone" because that was the Scottish pronunciation. I really think that food items should retain the pronunciation of their origins- which is why I don't understand why Brits and Australians can't pronounce "paella" properly as "pa- eya". 

• Brooky
      1 month agoReport

What the Americans call biscuits look a bit like scones, but the texture is completely different.