Can an HR manager at a law firm deny an employee vacation time/benefits if he’s a slacker, non punctual, & wears a du-rag, t-shirt and jeans?

One of my co-workers, a file clerk, is often late to the office.  And not only does he dress inappropriately, but sometimes he hangs around at the reception desk, still wearing his du-rag, which the clients can obviously see.  Ironically, everyone at the office loves him, particularly because he’s so “cool” and a ladies man.  In addition, one of the employees, who’s the senior partner’s chauffeur, is always having “locker room” talk with him, “What’s up, player?  Tell me about that girl you were with last weekend” and such.  Because of this, the chauffeur is blinded to the fact that the file clerk is always late and dressed inappropriately.  On top of that, the chauffeur loathes the HR manager because she’s a b*tch and such.  Therefore, the chauffeur asked the file clerk, “How come you don’t get any vacation time or benefits?  You need to talk to that ***** because what she’s doing is not right.”  Is the chauffeur, as well as everyone in the office, delusional due to how much they think he’s so “cool”?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Can an HR manager at a law firm deny an employee vacation time/benefits if he’s a slacker, non punctual, & wears a du-rag, t-shirt and jeans? - NO.  The two are entirely unrelated

One of my co-workers, a file clerk, is often late to the office - ok

And not only does he dress inappropriately, but sometimes he hangs around at the reception desk, still wearing his du-rag, which the clients can obviously see - ok.  So, if that is an issue, then his manager needs to talk to him

Ironically, everyone at the office loves him, particularly because he’s so “cool” and a ladies man - most women don't 'love a ladies' man' to start with... he is probably 'loved' because he is outgoing, chatty and friendly. 

In addition, one of the employees, who’s the senior partner’s chauffeur, is always having “locker room” talk with him, “What’s up, player?  Tell me about that girl you were with last weekend” and such - ok

Because of this, the chauffeur is blinded to the fact that the file clerk is always late and dressed inappropriately - and what does the chauffeur's opinion of this guy have to do with anything ??

On top of that, the chauffeur loathes the HR manager because she’s a b*tch and such - again, does it matter what the chauffeur thinks.. he is waaay down the pecking order

Therefore, the chauffeur asked the file clerk, “How come you don’t get any vacation time or benefits?  - when the file clerk started the role, he would have told about vacation / benefits he was entitled to.. it was up to him to either accept the offer and decline the job offer. He chose to accept it

You need to talk to that ***** because what she’s doing is not right.” - and how does this chauffeur know whether its right or not?? Answer is he doesn't. If the file clerk was taken on with no benefits or vacation entitlement, then, in my eyes, there is no 'wrong' being done.

Is the chauffeur, as well as everyone in the office, delusional due to how much they think he’s so “cool”? - what people think of a co-worker is immaterial.  They are not at work to make friends

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That sounds like a government problem.

Attachment image
  • Katie
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

HR have NOTHING to do with authorising the holidays/vacations that a member of staff has.  ONLY their direct supervisor is involved.

• SCATTY c
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Not sure why this has two thumbs down, as its a correct answer. LOL

• 1 month ago

Its common for part time employees to not receive the same benefits as full time employees. If this "file clerk" is part time, then its probably standard practice to not offer vacation/sick hours.

Its also somewhat common to automatically use an employees vacation  hours if they are short on their check due to being late or absent. For example if they are scheduled to work 25 hours per week, and end up only working 23 hours due to a combination of late arrivals, early departures or missed shifts, then they would automatically use 2 hours of that employee's vacation/sick pay and pay them for 25 hours. If the employee is perpetually late, they could end up using all of their vacation hours this way and never really accumulate enough to take a full day off.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

State laws plays into this, as well as what the terms were for this particular individual and position.  I don't believe that vacation time and such would be impacted by this behavior unless they are counting all this lost time, as vacation time and such. As is common.

• 1 month ago

Tell me this...why is a chauffeur in the office at all?  Thats weird...

• Alex
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A strange question.  But decisions regarding vacation time should be made solely on the needs of the business, not anyone's opinion about the individual.  Decisions regarding someone's performance, professional appearance, etc., should have nothing to do with whether that person is entitled to utilize benefits that they are entitled to.  A company that would do such a thing is a toxic company that I would never work for.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is something wrong with you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.