Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why is my food always bland. It doesn’t taste seasoned like restaurants?

I add a lot of seasoning so not sure why it doesn’t taste as flavorful. I use chicken breasts with most of my meal and season then really well on both sides with garlic and herb seasoning. I use chicken breasts for my soups, chicken breasts for fajitas, for chicken tacos, teriyaki chicken, chicken tortilla soup, baked chicken etc.. I follow lots of YouTube videos online and receipe blogs.

Favorite Answer

Chicken breasts are bland by definition.    If they taste good in a restaurant, it's because they're loaded with salt and fat and cooked in a "yummy" way such as grilled or fried/sauteed. 

• John

Seasoning in cooking speak means salt and pepper but especially salt. It doesn't matter how much garlic you use, without proper salt it will be bland but garlicky. Using just enough salt but not too much is one of the great arts of cooking.

Restaurant food tastes so good because they use a lot more fat than you would ever think of using at home.  Fat is the main carrier of taste in food.

• Dimo

Chicken breasts *are* bland.   Try switching to boneless thighs.

Marinate -- for 2 hours on the countertop, 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Use *fresh* spices.  The cheap stuff in the supermarkets is not fresh.

Marinate your meat.

That's why there's no flavor regardless of how many seasonings you use.

Garlic, onions and water.... and whatever seasonings or sauces you want. Mix them all well in a bowl. Then pour the mix all over your meat. Let it sit for hours before cooking.

For teriyaki, specifically... we let the meat marinate over night.

Ingredients for teriyaki marinade: soy sauce, garlic, onions, sugar or brown sugar. (Optional: ginger, sesame seeds, sesame seed oil).

I like strong bold flavor, so if that's the case with you, use minimal water. It dilutes the flavor. And the amount of ingredients you need? Do it by taste.