Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Can I be a blood donor?

I'm 20, 5'1 and weigh 95 pounds.

I really wanted to be a blood donor but somebody told me that I can't?! Is it true and if so, why?

I am completely healthy in case you're wondering.

• *****
    Favorite Answer

No, you must be at least 110 pounds. This is because your blood volume is proportional to your weight, and taking the amount of blood they require may pose a health risk in someone who is smaller since it will constitute a larger percentage of your total blood volume. 

The criteria is on their website:  https://www.redcrossblood.org/

There may be limitations for donating blood because of your body weight. Blood banks that accept blood provides questions about your lifestyle and sexual nature. The blood banks test donated blood for several toxins and reject your blood if you should have a condition that requires investigation. Search for website for American Red Cross and quiz whether you can donate blood. I donated blood every 3 months for 10 years until one of my medications restricted me. In Houston where I live the Blood Mobile is a bus that has several compartments for blood donation. The blood-bank bus lists various locations where people can go and donate. The blood bank lists online locations where one can donate blood without visiting an actual street location.

harrald

Too little. There's a weight limit.

Unfortunately, they were correct. You need to be least 5' 4" tall and weigh at least 110 pounds. If you are under 5' 4" you will need to weigh more than 110 pounds to safely donate. 

• Louis

It varies from place to place. But there is a lower limit. and it usually is right around the 100-pound mark. 

But they can take a half-pint instead of a pint. If you went to a place with a line they would probably refuse you because it takes almost as much time to take a half a pint as a pint. However, if they have a shortage they will be happy for the half-pint. Call first and ask. And while you are on the phone see if they take appts. (that way you won't be holding up the line). 

Your weight doesn't meet requirements

• kelvin

no that is correct and here is the proper information as you must be at least 17 years old in most states (16 years old with parental consent in some states). Weigh at least 110 lbs. Additional height and weight requirements apply for donors 18 years old and younger and all high school student donors. Have not donated blood in the last 56 days and i changed my answer after i looked it up on their website

Umm... completely healthy? You sure about that?

My 12 year old cousin weighs 95 pounds. That's not a good weight for a 20 year old. I think your weight is the reason you can't be a blood donor. Discuss this with your doctor. And for your own good, gain some weight!

• Lili

No. You need to weigh at least 110 lbs. They won't accept someone your size. You don't have enough blood volume.