Can a dealership cancel a contract ?

Long story short I bought a used car in the state of Georgia , the car broke down within two weeks of having it the engine went out . The dealership refused to honor my buyers guide which says , dealer warranty covers engine and transmission. I’ve contacted a lawyer and told the dealership my intentions of moving forward and going to court . That was about a week ago , I called today to see if the dealership has changed their minds , and was told I do not have a car with them and they wouldn’t go into specifics . What could that mean , and what should I do ?

Favorite Answer

Just continue with the suit. They may just hope you give up and go away. You should be able to prove your case in court.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

It costs money to sue. And takes months for a court date. Buyer will have to prove she gave dealer ample time which she has not. Yet.

sfsfsdfsfsdfsdfsd

"Buyers guide"... can you elaborate? Was it a signed document that came out of the transaction? Did they provide a written warranty?

Georgia doesn't have lemon law protection on used vehicles, so not sure where this "honor my warranty" part is coming. Did you pay extra for a warranty that they're not honoring? 

• Never
      1 month agoReport

She means the FTC window sticker I believe.
      https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/plain-language/cfr_buyers_guides_english.pdf

Sue the dealer in small claims court.

What's "my buyers guide?"  Unless a warranty is specifically part of the contract to purchase I don't think you will prevail in a suit.

They did not cancel anything. You still have the car and you still owe whoever lent you the money.

They sold you the car - the car is yours now.

- the lender has a loan with you.  Is the lender and the dealership, the same entity?  Or are you paying someone else?

- is the warranty part of the dealership or is it with a 3rd party warranty company? 

You may have to look at your paperwork to determine these answers.

If the warranty is with a separate warranty company, they are the ones that have to fix your car, not the dealership. 

I hope you have the warranty paperwork, you were given. 

I assume you have a copy of the bill of sale which proves otherwise.

It is time to cough up the retainer fees for your lawyer.  Dealer is probably calling your bluff.  They have been there before many times.  They know the drill.