Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 2 months ago

Why are people starting to call engagement rings wedding rings?

I'm not sure if people have always done this but I've been noticing this a lot online lately. No offense, but were they never corrected on the fact that you get an engagement ring when you get engaged, and that you receive the wedding ring during your wedding ceremony?

A little unrelated, but I've noticed a lot of people saying this as well: "My engagement ring isn't worth much, but he's going to go all out on my wedding ring." Wow, that would be a very expensive gold band with a few measly diamonds on it. Also, why do they feel the need to justify their engagement ring in the first place?

**I'm not saying that smaller diamonds are bad in any way, I'm just saying it gets annoying after a while hearing this all the time, when most wedding bands aren't as expensive as most engagement rings.**

I know that some might get snarky with me and ask why this is so important, but it just gets grating when you suddenly start to hear it over and over again, but I bite my tongue and don't correct people in public.

If you get so sick of reading about them, you have every right not to look at my question, either; but thank you for wasting your time nevertheless! 

• Raja

Because engagement leads to wedding 

because they're too poor and cheap to spend money for another ring

I have my share of online pet peeves, too, but I never forget I'm dealing with a fake universe (especially on social media).    How much of this have you heard in real life?  I don't think I've heard any, although I do know a couple people who stopped wearing their engagement rings once they were married, and simply went with a band.   There are careers where this makes a lot of sense. 

That's nothing new.  I realize the wedding ring should be a simple gold ban and the engagement ring is usually much more expensive.  I wonder if they understand the meaning of the never ending circle. Some women just move the engagement ring to the wedding ring finger.  It's almost as if they value the ring more than the marriage or the engagement ring more than the wedding ring.

• 熊冰冰
      1 month agoReport

WTF are you talking about? Most women wear their engagement rings on the left-hand ring finger and add the wedding ring on marriage. 

That awkward moment when you have to inform a stranger on the internet that not everyone has both an engagement ring AND a wedding ring. Some engagement rings become wedding rings. If you have one ring that's used for both events, it becomes your wedding ring by default/semantics.

Well, you seem to be easily worked up.

• Foofa

All of the traditional definitions are changing. People now get "engaged" with no intention of ever getting married. Just avoid these conversations because people are going to do whatever they want and it doesn't really have any real impact on your life.

• Kelly

Any ring can be used as an engagement or wedding ring and either one is optional all around.

• Liz

Idk but usually an engagement ring indicates a wedding is going to happen. The wedding ring symbolizes the union of the couple. But today's standards are changing rapidly. There is no question about distinction among the Christian congregations of God. Once two Christians are betrothed, it is right for them and for others to expect that marriage will follow. Jesus admonished: “Let your word Yes mean Yes, your No, No.” (Matthew 5:37)

Source(s): jw.org
    • Jerry
      1 month agoReport

That is really quite the leap from “Let your word Yes mean Yes, your No, No” to "Jesus doesn't approve of long engagements. Can you show the intermediate steps in the reasoning from one to the other? 

idk man maybe just take a chill pill