Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

What do I do when my depression kicks in on Christmas?

Favorite Answer

One reason why so many people have this problem is the stress of buying presents - the crowds, long lines, not to mention the strain on your bank account. I've suggested to people the idea of talking with loved ones and agreeing not to exchange presents, saying that the stress is too much. I've gotten a couple of positive responses to this.

I've answered questions about Christmas blues and seasonal affective disorder recently, with positive responses. You're welcome to click and read.

If you don't currently go to Church, now is certainly the time to find one to start going to on a weekly basis! Going to Church is important and Christmas is not only about giving and receiving presents! Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus and going to Church. If one cant afford to buy or whatever then don't sweat it! If one don't have a family, getting involved in a good Church or even more than one is always a good thing! Not only its a good feeling to go to Church but they probably have people there to ease your situation!

Well, first of all it's not Christmas yet. Secondly, don't make catastrophe predictions about depression on Christmas. It seems like you are planning it in advance to me?

What we believe in this life, we make true, so if you believe you're going to be depressed at Christmas, you most likely will be. Change your thinking around.

• LAN

Cut your head off and spare others the ordeal of listening to how pathetic your life is over and over Peter.   That is 100% guaranteed to cause you to no longer be depressed and at the same time raising the spirits of everyone that has to enteract with you.   So it's a win win.

If you were one of Jehovah's witnesses and went to the kingdom Hall you wouldn't have the problem in the first place put an end to that problem permanently forever and freaking be done with it. Get yourself a religion and a belief where they don't have that kind of nonsense then instead of being depressed on the holidays you'll be with people. That are living a normal healthy life. and don't have the ups and the downs and the downs and the ups and the financial problems and the burdens caused by making all kinds of special holidays throughout the year don't you know that what goes up must come down.

You wouldn't happen to be the "I'm depressed because I can't visit my extended family on Christmas," would you?

• 1 month agoReport

No that is not me but I remember that person. 

It’s easier if you live in a big  Cosmopolitan city like New York where there are many ethnicities which do not celebrate Christmas. You can usually find a place that’s open to get food etc and can just Walk around on the streets where there will be a lot of other people who are not celebrating the holidays so you don’t feel as bad. I used to go to a Chinese restaurant and get food. The problem is that it’s a holiday which is very calloused in many ways as many American holidays are. Like Father’s Day for people who don’t have fathers. Mother’s Day for people who don’t have mothers. All these holidays are geared towards intact families and designed to make a profit for Hallmark greeting cards and so on. With no consideration of the people who will suffer on these holidays because they have nobody to be with. It’s a real problem. But in this country everything is geared towards corporate profits so people’s feelings (and even their lives often) don’t really matter. If there was any kind of a soup kitchen or similar situation you could do some volunteering at on this holiday it might help. I know it’s difficult, though. Spent many Christmases alone but the ones when I lived in New York were easier for the above mentioned reasons. These are just suggestions. But it’s a difficult situation for many people who are on their own 

Stay away from people enjoying the holiday.

Enjoy with family, and if alone, enjoy being alive