Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

7 year old still has a dummy (pacifier) how do I stop this?

I'm looking for ideas on how to convince my 7 year old daughter that she's too old for her dummy (pacifier). She only really has it at bedtime, I can't get her to give it up. Her teeth are sticking out because of her sucking on it. What should I do?

While she's at school - take all pacifiers and throw them in the garbage.  Who's the parent here - you or her?

Had the same problem as a kid, get some of the "No Bite" or similar nail polishes and put it on there. After a few days, she'll give it up

Ok for one you should have made her give up her pacifier years ago and she's not supposed to have it in her mouth when she goes to bed anyway because that's dangerous. There's a technique that supernanny had done once where she told this little girl about a binkie fairy who gives pacifiers to babies who need them and gives presents to older kids ( Yeah I know this sounds kinda silly but it seems to work). You can also try doing what my dad and my grandmother did with me to get me to stop eating the cat treats which is basically try and scare her out of doing it. For example tell her that if she keeps sucking on the pacifier, all of her teeth will fall out and she might decide that she doesn't want the pacifier anymore. 

Yes, it's totally believable that an actual parent would need to CONVINCE their 7-year-old to give up a pacifier rather than just take it from them years ago.

Why do you have to "convince" her of anything?   You're the parent and what you say goes whether she agrees with you or not.

Get a special box.  Show it to your daughter.  Tell her that she's too grown-up for the pacifier and that in five more sleeps she (or you) will put it in the box and put it away with her other baby keepsakes.    And then each day count down the days or cross them off on the calendar.   And then on the day, ask her if she'd like to put it in the box or if she'd like you to do it.   If she doesn't do it, then YOU do it.  Period.

Anyone who tells you to make it taste bad or cut the end off it is a moron.  You simply need to tell her what is going to happen, when it's going to happen and then follow-through. 

Boil the pacifier in grapefruit juice for a minute be careful not to melt the pacifier. Let the ninny soak in grapefruit juice. When it's not being used. The kid will very quickly not want the pacifier.

• edward

Tobasco sauce. Just a little on the tip to give her a bad taste in her mouth. Or if you want, lemon juice, lime juice, anything that has an unpleasant taste to her and make sure it’s every time she has it. My mom used that to make me give up my bottle and pacifier. Worked like a charm

Trolling trolling

• sarah

My girl is only seven months, so I  haven't actually had this issue yet...lol, but I've heard from friends who have older children that rewards charts work really good. Get a calendar and some stickers, and for every night that she goes to bed without the pacifier, give her a sticker. After a week of stickers, she gets a small reward (a little toy, a piece of candy, whatever you come up with). When she's lasted a full month with no pacifier, she gets a bigger reward (a trip to the zoo, going to the movies, whatever works).

Supernanny had a "dummy fairy" who left money under a pillow in exchange.